Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm going back for my 2nd year at uni next wednesay (16th), and I just feel sick at the the thought. I keep crying before I go to sleep over going back.
    I'm not sure why I'm feeling like this, I like my course, I get on with my flatmates and coursemates. I think it might be because I hate the flat we moved into. It's just so dingy and my room gets no natural sunlight, I have to have the light on all day just to see my desk. When I was there for the weekend over the summer it was just full of spiders and I had to properly clean it because the flat was dirty when we moved in. Only 1/2 of the showers gives out hot water and one of our fridges has a leak. They aren't major problems, but I just don't really want to live like that.
    I've already decided I'm moving back into the private halls I lived in first year. It's little bit more expensive, but I feel safer and Iknow how clean the rooms are.
    Urghh I hate feeling this nervous and sick, does anyone have any help on how can I destress before I go back next week??
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Just maybe take a break from everything. Have a little time doing things you love! I would just relax and try to take my mind off it as much as I can

ReputationRep:
    I know exactly how you feel as I felt the same when I was at university. It would also be the same after the xmas break or when going back after Easter. I would suggest you try and not think about things to much (easier said than done, I know!) and try have have this last week to destress and enjoy your time at home as much as you can to distratc yourself.

My accommodation for my final year was exactly how you described!! It was the dingiest, darkest and filthiest little flat and when I went to move my stuff in the week before, I was so frustrated at the state of it. What I ended up doing was getting a cleaner to come in to sort it out before we moved in! If this is an option for you, I would recommend it! I will be honest, the darkness situation was slightly annoying but also I would say, after making it feel a bit cosy and filling it with all my stuff, I actually warmed to the flat and made it like home.

So try not to worry, once you've settled in, you'll be absolutely fine here if you need a chat as I know how you feel!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by iElvendork)
    I'm going back for my 2nd year at uni next wednesay (16th), and I just feel sick at the the thought. I keep crying before I go to sleep over going back.
    I'm not sure why I'm feeling like this, I like my course, I get on with my flatmates and coursemates. I think it might be because I hate the flat we moved into. It's just so dingy and my room gets no natural sunlight, I have to have the light on all day just to see my desk. When I was there for the weekend over the summer it was just full of spiders and I had to properly clean it because the flat was dirty when we moved in. Only 1/2 of the showers gives out hot water and one of our fridges has a leak. They aren't major problems, but I just don't really want to live like that.
    I've already decided I'm moving back into the private halls I lived in first year. It's little bit more expensive, but I feel safer and Iknow how clean the rooms are.
    Urghh I hate feeling this nervous and sick, does anyone have any help on how can I destress before I go back next week??
    Thanks
    If you are moving into a house share or flat as you've said, then contact the landlord and explain to them your worries and concerns about your flat. It's their job to fix these things and make the flat homely for yourself and your friends. At the same time, make the flat as homely as possible. Make your room yours, you've already done the cleaning so just decorate it nicely and what not and just make it yours! If you are that uncomfortable, do whatever you need to do to make yourself feel safe.

To destress? There isn't much I can suggest, I was in a similar position. Just distract yourself, watch movies at night and what not. Write down your thoughts and worries, you can't overcome them until you are in the flat. I think you just need to spend time in it and see how it goes. It might turn out okay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iElvendork)
    Thanks

Hi, I'd just say try and think through why you are feeling like this (your living conditions) and then in your mind confirm what you are doing to make things right (moving out to somewhere you know and like).

Keep saying to yourself you have sorted it out and therefore you have nothing to worry about, relax and smile.

It's a waste of energy to worry, 99.9% of what we worry about never comes about anyway, meanwhile we have caused our bodies a lot of unnecessary stress over something that won't happen or that we have or can resolve.

Here's hoping it all goes brilliantly for you!

ReputationRep:
    We talked to to the landlord, but they said it's not their problem and we have to fix it ourselves God know's what they are going to be like when we have an actual problem. It's been made slightly worse because the other flats in our block (all owned by our landlord) are so much nicer than ours, they have matching new sofas and a dining table with matching chairs. Ours doesn't have these, we don't even have enough chairs for the dining table!
    I'm trying not to think about it, but my mum keeps making it worse by arguing with me over where she's going to park her car. It's making me not want to go back at all.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.