Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    Isn't it a simple probablility which I think Zuwell has got right (and I'm not even a mathematician)?

49 balls in the draw, you need 6 numbers.

You have a 1 in 49 chance to match ball 1
    Then there are 48 balls which can be drawn - so 1 in 48 for ball 2
    etc etc

Multiply the probablities for each ball together as it is an AND probability.

P = What has been stated already
    but it isnt 1/49 chance the odds are 49/1 then 48/1 then 47/1. the equation jewel gave gives odds 9.9*10^-11 thats like you dont even have to play and you win!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    Its 1 in 13983816.
    is that how much possible combinations there are :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chats)
    but it isnt 1/49 chance the odds are 49/1 then 48/1 then 47/1. the equation jewel gave gives odds 9.9*10^-11 thats like you dont even have to play and you win!
    Are you sure? Probability cannot be more than 1. The product I gave is 1/(large number) which works out at 0.0000(something). Hardly as great as you think.

ReputationRep:
    Yep.
    how did you work that out?

ReputationRep:
    Look, what you do is:

49 x 48 x 47 x 46 x 45 x 44
    --------------------------
    6 x 5 x 4 x 3 x 2 x 1

= 13983816
    so theres 13 million combinations!? wow!

ReputationRep:
    Look, what you do is:

49 x 48 x 47 x 46 x 45 x 44
    --------------------------
    6 x 5 x 4 x 3 x 2 x 1

= 13983816
    that is actually right

ReputationRep:
    13 million combinations! i still cant believe it!

ReputationRep:
    And I haven't done any maths for years
    Well you're a programmer-type guy, you ought to be fluent in maths.

And it's nearer 14 million Tim2.

ReputationRep:
    there is one way that i masterminded

get a job as a technician, ( ball cleaner ) , then put some lubricant on certain ones that makes certain balls expand or get smaller so certain ones fit down the hole

ok this is sounding REALLY dirty but please do not look at it from the dirty side of things

anyone like to develop my idea/

ReputationRep:
    or somehow add opposite charges to the ball and the hole where the balls are put through by means of.......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dazzyaa911)
    there is one way that i masterminded

get a job as a technician, ( ball cleaner ) , then put some lubricant on certain ones that makes certain balls expand or get smaller so certain ones fit down the hole

ok this is sounding REALLY dirty but please do not look at it from the dirty side of things

anyone like to develop my idea/
    i think thats a good idea, but they would have security on the balls. i had a idea on big brother. if you get to become the person that handles the votes, you and your team could fix the results. i dont watch bb but eg x to win is 50/1 put 10 million between the ten of you and bobs ur uncle.
    where you would get the 10 mill from i have no idea :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chats)
    i think thats a good idea, but they would have security on the balls. i had a idea on big brother. if you get to become the person that handles the votes, you and your team could fix the results. i dont watch bb but eg x to win is 50/1 put 10 million between the ten of you and bobs ur uncle.
    where you would get the 10 mill from i have no idea :confused:
    listen to this, you do chemistry right? well listen: the substance applied to the balls could be a clear light acrylic....... ( this will be obtained from a diluted solution of polydimetyhl siloxane )

this will build up a powerful static charge and also increases the size of the balls VERY slightly and therefore each of the WINNING balls didn;t have the chemical applied to it!

ok the passage that each ball will travel give it a small trace of polydimetyhl solixane solution as well

under the controlled conditions the balls w/ the static charge wud enter the passage way coated with the same substance, and indeed they rebel each other ....... thus they wud be part of the winning combo!!!! only the uncoated ball would be able to do so

ReputationRep:
    listen to this, you do chemistry right? well listen: the substance applied to the balls could be a clear light acrylic....... ( this will be obtained from a diluted solution of polydimetyhl siloxane )

this will build up a powerful static charge and also increases the size of the balls VERY slightly and therefore each of the WINNING balls didn;t have the chemical applied to it!

ok the passage that each ball will travel give it a small trace of polydimetyhl solixane solution as well

under the controlled conditions the balls w/ the static charge wud enter the passage way coated with the same substance, and indeed they rebel each other ....... thus they wud be part of the winning combo!!!! only the uncoated ball would be able to do so
    i dont do chem so i have no idea what you just said. i thought u were a dumbass but you seem smart!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chats)
    i dont do chem so i have no idea what you just said. i thought u were a dumbass but you seem smart!
    hehe, am just ok

ReputationRep:
    hehe, am just ok
    i bet your a super genius!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chats)
    i bet your a super genius!
    LOL no - i am on my way to dental school ( hopefully ) but am no way near a genius

want to see a genius? talk to elpaw

ReputationRep:
    LOL no - i am on my way to dental school ( hopefully ) but am no way near a genius

want to see a genius? talk to elpaw
    what does he know one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chats)
    what does he know one?
    no he is one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tis_me_lord)
    It would be 49!
    Yep.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.