Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I got an offer to study computer science at Aston and i got CCD. It;s a good uni and has a great reputation and all and id be happy to go there. However im still not proud of my grades, and i dont think they will look good in the long run. Should I retake year 13, or just retake certain modules whilst in uni? Like will my Alevels have a big impact later on?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think anyone really looks at A level grades once you've finished university- they just want to know you have a 2.1 or higher when applying for jobs. Unless you're applying for some really competitive graduate scheme. I'd probably just go for the course!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vg21)
    I don't think anyone really looks at A level grades once you've finished university- they just want to know you have a 2.1 or higher when applying for jobs. Unless you're applying for some really competitive graduate scheme. I'd probably just go for the course!
    Yeh i guess so. Like I know aston is a good uni as it is but I also know i could do better in my alevels. Would it be worth getting better and going to like a Russel Group Uni, or sticking to Aston as its rated in the top 10 in terms of employability?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by kiix97)
    I got an offer to study computer science at Aston and i got CCD. It;s a good uni and has a great reputation and all and id be happy to go there. However im still not proud of my grades, and i dont think they will look good in the long run. Should I retake year 13, or just retake certain modules whilst in uni? Like will my Alevels have a big impact later on?
    I'd retake tbh.

You will find yourself getting tripped up by the grad schemes with UCAS point requirements. Although, that won't apply if you only stick to small companies.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    See if you can get a foundation course at a high ranked uni.
    I got lower grades than expected, ended up with clearing offers from various medium/low tier universities (including Aston), however when I called up some high ranking uni's (Russel groups) they offered me a foundation year with guaranteed progression into the degree course.

Re-taking A levels is of course much cheaper but make sure the universities you apply for accepts retakes (most will do) and if you're okay with going back to sixth form/college.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    I'd retake tbh.

You will find yourself getting tripped up by the grad schemes with UCAS point requirements. Although, that won't apply if you only stick to small companies.
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've never seen any grad schemes that require ucas points- is that subject specific or do you know that from experience?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by vg21)
    I've never seen any grad schemes that require ucas points- is that subject specific or do you know that from experience?
    Most large companies have UCAS point requirements to reduce the number of applicants to a more manageable level. Most set them between 280-340 (BBC-AAB), so it does depend on the company.

But as I said, if you're happy stickibg with smaller companies this won't be an issue.

ReputationRep:
    I'd retake tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So large companies are likely to look at a-levels even if you have a degree?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    So large companies are likely to look at a-levels even if you have a degree?
    Yeah, some of them have auto screens (based on your UCAS points) that filter through the CVs, whilst some will have human screeners put CVs into a yes or no pile, the no pile being those who don't reach the criteria of a 2:1 and x number of UCAS points.

That said, not all of them do this and a fair amount only have the 2:1/2:2 requirement.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, some of them have auto screens (based on your UCAS points) that filter through the CVs, whilst some will have human screeners put CVs into a yes or no pile, the no pile being those who don't reach the criteria of a 2:1 and x number of UCAS points.

That said, not all of them do this and a fair amount only have the 2:1/2:2 requirement.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh i see i see, makes sense! So basically my safest option is to resit them and get my grades up just to be on the safe side?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Oh i see i see, makes sense! So basically my safest option is to resit them and get my grades up just to be on the safe side?
    I'd say so yeah, most unis don't care whether you resit or not.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 10, 2015
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.