Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Has anyone joined a union as a trainee? I see that NUT offer free membership for students.

Should you keep membership a secret from your course provider?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Macruiskeen)
    Hi,

Has anyone joined a union as a trainee? I see that NUT offer free membership for students.

Should you keep membership a secret from your course provider?

Thanks
    All teachers and trainee teachers should join a union - I think they are all free for students. You need the indemnity they give.

Do compare them before you decide as some are more 'political' than others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muttley79)
    All teachers and trainee teachers should join a union - I think they are all free for students. You need the indemnity they give.

Do compare them before you decide as some are more 'political' than others.
    Could trying to get my course mates to join up as well get me labelled as a "troublemaker" by my university though? I'm not sure if they would have a stance on unions or not.

ReputationRep:
    Could trying to get my course mates to join up as well get me labelled as a "troublemaker" by my university though? I'm not sure if they would have a stance on unions or not.
    On my course we were advised to join one by the uni ... I'd be surprised if the lecturers don't mention it.

ReputationRep:
    Just to endorse what Muttley says, you should definitely join a union because you need the protection. As a student, you can join all of them and only give your money to the one you like best at the end of the year, but you should be in one without a doubt, and I can't imagine any training establishment saying anything different.

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't matter what the university's stance is, you need the protection. I am sure that will be the university's view as well.

ReputationRep:
    There were three union reps/stalls at our enrolment and we actually had a whole lecture slot dedicated to the NUT & it's importance this afternoon.

I would say definitely join a union!

ReputationRep:
    Yes I've joined 3. ATL is really good as there are loads of publications you can order for free online if you are a member (Managing Behaviour, Teaching SEN Pupils etc).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laura.a.c265)
    Yes I've joined 3. ATL is really good as there are loads of publications you can order for free online if you are a member (Managing Behaviour, Teaching SEN Pupils etc).

Posted from TSR Mobile
    ATL do great free courses as well. I went to 2 or 3 in my training year.

ReputationRep:
    I would expect your university to encourage you to join a union. Ours hosted a "unions fair" one lunchtime so we could join up.

I joined NUT, NASUWT and ATL for the year as it was free, then picked one to join at the start of the NQT year. Originally I planned to join the one that seemed best at the end of the year but it actually ended up being a case of which one could I find my membership details for after moving house.

Fortunately, everyone else in my department is also with the same union (NASUWT) so it worked out well - we remind one another to go to the very occasional union meetings. Also, if we strike it's the whole department, and if we're not on strike but the NUT are (so the school closes to pupils but non-NUT staff are in) we're all in to discuss stuff and get lots of planning done.

ReputationRep:
    We were advised to join more than one. So you can get an idea of who sends you what. The main ones are free for your PGCE year And then you just choose the one you like best or that your NQT school has a rep for etc. at the beginning of your NQT year. You definitely need to join one for this year though, just for that little bit of protection if something were to happen.

Plus, most Unis get the unions in on a day to recruit you early on ... and when you sign up you get free stuff. I got a years worth of pens, highlighters, planners, wall planners and pencil cases! Not to mention handy bags!

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.