Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got any suggestions? I'm doing German nationalism for A2 and already am really struggling to remember all this information and dates so was wandering if anyone could help. I'm trying to make flash cards already throughout the course however with so many text boos and information sheets from teachers am struggling to remember this information. For AS I got a C, 2 marks from a B but feel like this is much harder.

ReputationRep:
    i did OCR and got an A but i did a different topic (im guessing youre doing the Themes exam paper), but i made flashcards as i got given the dates/figures in class i would highlight them in my notes (sometimes my teacher would point out really important ones) then went and made flashcards that night
    i also found it really helpful to make a timeline (and mine was giant) i used colour coded sticky notes (one for events, one for peoples birth/death/coming to power, and one for political events like laws) and then once i marked on the date i put on like flaps that folded out to show the details if that makes sense
    i would say the best way is to just go over and over the information until you know it off by heart - i know its a lot of information but you can do it!
    just pick whatever stats seem most important and most common and use them (also helped was simplifying them so fractions instead of % is normally easier to remember, and instead of numbers like 576 just say 'more than 500')

i would also suggest practicing essays as much as you can! the more you practice the easier it gets - and the more you use the facts the easier it is to remember!
    good luck!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by citydeer)
    i did OCR and got an A but i did a different topic (im guessing youre doing the Themes exam paper), but i made flashcards as i got given the dates/figures in class i would highlight them in my notes (sometimes my teacher would point out really important ones) then went and made flashcards that night
    i also found it really helpful to make a timeline (and mine was giant) i used colour coded sticky notes (one for events, one for peoples birth/death/coming to power, and one for political events like laws) and then once i marked on the date i put on like flaps that folded out to show the details if that makes sense
    i would say the best way is to just go over and over the information until you know it off by heart - i know its a lot of information but you can do it!
    just pick whatever stats seem most important and most common and use them (also helped was simplifying them so fractions instead of % is normally easier to remember, and instead of numbers like 576 just say 'more than 500'

i would also suggest practicing essays as much as you can! the more you practice the easier it gets - and the more you use the facts the easier it is to remember!
    good luck!!
    Thanks a lot for all of this great advice. I'm not sure if it's a themes paper but it's basically where we have to write an overview of the whole 100 year period of 1789-1919 on the support of german nationalism. We don't have to go into much detail but do need to try and cover the whole period. I'll try the timeline idea as this seems very good. I'm just forgetting simple facts like the French revolution started in 1789. Would you suggest just keep rewriting the notes over and iver until they stick and then synthesise and write on flash cards?
    Oh and also over the year when i's closer to revision time would you suggest making an effort to do essay plans and memorise these or just focus more on content and write the essay questions?
    Thanks,
    Alex

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexp98)
    Thanks a lot for all of this great advice. I'm not sure if it's a themes paper but it's basically where we have to write an overview of the whole 100 year period of 1789-1919 on the support of german nationalism. We don't have to go into much detail but do need to try and cover the whole period. I'll try the timeline idea as this seems very good. I'm just forgetting simple facts like the French revolution started in 1789. Would you suggest just keep rewriting the notes over and iver until they stick and then synthesise and write on flash cards?
    Thanks,
    Alex
    sounds like the themes paper (we covered 109 years)
    i would recommend flash cards - write the date on one side and the event of the other and keep going through them, look at one side and try recall whats on the other you can even get other people to test you on it
    you can also try writing it out over and ver it depends what works best for you! i would suggest if youre writing it out use a different colour for names/dates so that they really stand out
    dont worry too much yet - you have a long time till your exam and the dates will come more naturally to you as time goes on! (until about February i always wrote 1864 instead of 1861 for a really important date, luckily i got hold of it before my exam!)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 9, 2015

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.