The Student Room Group

GCSE Writing Creatively?

Hi there!

I have just started my GCSE English language course, and in a title under a month I have my first controlled assessment-'writing Creatively'
I'm working under the CCEA specification, and our teachers have chosen for us to write an original story, that can either be a short story, or the opening to a novel, under the theme of 'introducing a character.'
I want to start writing for it now, because I want to feel prepared and confident for the assessment, seeing as it goes towards 15% of my GCSE (!)
My ideas for the character I'm trying to introduce are: someone who can't communicate in a conventional way, and whose POV the story will be written from; so for example: someone with locked-in syndrome, or downsyndrome?
Other ideas, (that I feel more enthusiastic about) include writing form the POV of someone who was wrongly accused of a crime and given a life sentence, or someone with schizophrenia.
However, I feel like those ideas are slightly too complex for a control assessment, and that there are too many things that could go wrong with them....do you think so, or should I stick with them?
do you have any other ideas for a good story line or character to use for this? Thank you so much for any help in advance xxx
As someone who got an A* in all English coursework at GCSE, I'd just say one thing: go for something unusual, or shocking. Don't try and write a novel. The latter ideas sound much too complicated for a piece of coursework.

Choosing someone with a disability in whatever form - so long as it isn't offensive and provides a unique point of view - is much more likely to get you good marks, as it will make the examiner think.

Talk to your teachers. They'll best be able to give you advice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending