Turn on thread page Beta

Which unis would be okay with me doing my a-levels over 3 years? watch

ReputationRep:
    Background info:
    In my AS year, I did biology + chemistry + english lit + history. I did bio and chem because my family pressured me, and got an E and a U, but Bs in english and history.
    In my A2 year, I picked up film studies and sociology. I thought that two AS would be an okay substitute for one A level and would still allow me to get into a good university without having to do a third year. I learned the opposite was true, and in February my mental state (which I won't get into too much but it was a result of many factors, primarily things outside my education) got the better of me. I stopped attending class, became scared of returning etc. Then I began coming into college to complete my courseworks for english and history, staying in the library all day, afraid to go to lessons without them. I did return to all of my classes but only right before exams began. I got Bs in sociology and film studies but my grades for english and history dropped to Cs because I got Es in my exams.

So now I'm doing english and history A2 again and also doing sociology A2. I hope to get good grades since I'm basically working with B grade 3 AS levels and want to study english at uni (possible doing joint honours with history). I'm just stuck on what universities I'll be able to apply to. I'd like to study in London but ofc it all depends on which universities would be willing to take me on. Any advice or information out there? It'd be much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simixdhillon)
    Background info:
    In my AS year, I did biology + chemistry + english lit + history. I did bio and chem because my family pressured me, and got an E and a U, but Bs in english and history.
    In my A2 year, I picked up film studies and sociology. I thought that two AS would be an okay substitute for one A level and would still allow me to get into a good university without having to do a third year. I learned the opposite was true, and in February my mental state (which I won't get into too much but it was a result of many factors, primarily things outside my education) got the better of me. I stopped attending class, became scared of returning etc. Then I began coming into college to complete my courseworks for english and history, staying in the library all day, afraid to go to lessons without them. I did return to all of my classes but only right before exams began. I got Bs in sociology and film studies but my grades for english and history dropped to Cs because I got Es in my exams.

So now I'm doing english and history A2 again and also doing sociology A2. I hope to get good grades since I'm basically working with B grade 3 AS levels and want to study english at uni (possible doing joint honours with history). I'm just stuck on what universities I'll be able to apply to. I'd like to study in London but ofc it all depends on which universities would be willing to take me on. Any advice or information out there? It'd be much appreciated.
    I took a third year at A Level too due to ill health. I didn't have a problem with it and the ones I applied to didn't seem bothered by it. I also took a short few sentences in my personal statement when applying explaining why I took three years to do it. I ended up at a Russell Group/Red brick university.

I'd say majority aren't really to bothered to be honest. Unless you're applying to Oxbridge (or somewhere similar) or a course which says that you must complete your A Levels over two years (usually, from what I've seen and off the top of my head, courses like Medicine/Dentistry/Vet won't allow three years of A Level.)

However, just because I didn't have a problem, this may not always be the case. I would suggest that you go to some open days for the universities you're interested in and ask them specifically as all universities are different and may have different policies regarding this.

Good Luck!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 9, 2015
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.