Turn on thread page Beta

My boyfriend plans to marry me!?!? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm 18 years old and been dating my Chinese boyfriend (who is 20) for 5 months now, he is my first boyfriend and I'm his first girlfriend, he has spent three months in China and will be returning in about two weeks.

Personally, I don't like short term relationships I don't understand them and never had one: I only date someone if I see it working (hence why he and I are together) we are very similar but also a few differences, not just cultural. and I will say I date for marriage I don't want to of had a lot of boyfriend and one night stands (never had one) when I'm older, it messes with my head just thinking of it.

So back on track, I was talking to him the other day and recently in college I had to fill out a "5 year plan" and somehow mama fed to fit it into the conversation. I asked him what his 5 year plan was and he answered faster than I expected (usually if I ask a question about the future he will take a few minutes to answer.. If he can think of one) and he said he wants to have a stable job, a car and then he said he wanted to marry me (when he is 24).

I'm really happy about it (yes, it's soon and that. Wouldn't act on it until after 2 year being together at least) but it really surprised me, he isn't usually romantic or anything and defiantly doesn't open up about things like that (it took 3 months just to find out he wanted to have a family, asking it helps me learn what type of relationship he is really after, please don't think I'm one of those crazy fast girlfriends. I just like asking)

Just wanted to know if Chinese men dating decide /admit they want to marry so soon into a relationship and if possible what the general way they date and stuff is like, I keep reading about cultural differences and I have been really interested in Chinese language and culture since I was 7 but don't want to act on what I've studied in case it's just a stereotype. Please could you share your advice? Thank you! Also, sorry I find it hard getting straight to the point, thank you!!

ReputationRep:
    You sound like a great girl, honestly the kind that I wish there were more of.

You're hopefully going to have a very long and happy relationship that will last an have meaning, unlike those who instead choose to sleep around and all that negative stuff.

It's great to see people who are committed, marriage and committing shouldn't be a scary thing. I've been with my gf for about a year now and we've already established that we would like to marry each other at some stage, probably in a few years though mind. These things shouldn't be scary but our society teaches us to fear this, it's kind of sad really. We glorify being a whore/manwhore but we're taught to fear commitment and to see it as "creepy" if a guy or girl wants commitment, there are these stupid rules about "too soon" etc, but all of this is rubbish really in my opinion.

My gf is chinese, I'm not sure if it's part of their culture tbh, from what i've heard I believe they actually tend to marry and leave the home quite late in chinese culture, so yeah; unlike arab culture (my culture) where you are encouraged to marry as soon as you reach your 20's (after you've graduated) and every year past that if you haven't got married you're a disappointment to your parents haha

Best Wishes to you.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's necessarily down to his nationality, nor do I think all young Chinese men will feel the same about relationships.

You say he's not romantic, and seem confused that he's "opened up" about this, but I'd imagine he just feels he's being matter-of-fact and knows what he wants from your relationship.

If you're happy, I don't see the point in questioning it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMaster102)
    You sound like a great girl, honestly the kind that I wish there were more of.

You're hopefully going to have a very long and happy relationship that will last an have meaning, unlike those who instead choose to sleep around and all that negative stuff.

It's great to see people who are committed, marriage and committing shouldn't be a scary thing. I've been with my gf for about a year now and we've already established that we would like to marry each other at some stage, probably in a few years though mind. These things shouldn't be scary but our society teaches us to fear this, it's kind of sad really. We glorify being a whore/manwhore but we're taught to fear commitment and to see it as "creepy" if a guy or girl wants commitment, there are these stupid rules about "too soon" etc, but all of this is rubbish really in my opinion.

My gf is chinese, I'm not sure if it's part of their culture tbh, from what i've heard I believe they actually tend to marry and leave the home quite late in chinese culture, so yeah; unlike arab culture (my culture) where you are encouraged to marry as soon as you reach your 20's (after you've graduated) and every year past that if you haven't got married you're a disappointment to your parents haha

Best Wishes to you.
    Thank you! Haha, honestly thought I was going to get lectured about being immature or desperate or something...

That's lovely about you and you girlfriend, hope it all goes well for you both! Yes... must of my friends from High school have had over 20 boyfriends and I don't know how many one night stands.. I really don't understand, really can't understand it..

Honestly, it drives me crazy going into college and hearing the other girls (there are 23 of them) talking about how they seduce guys and how good that one night was with s stranger... it's insane..

But thank you so much for the encouragement!! Best wishes to you and your girlfriend too!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 9, 2015
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.