Turn on thread page Beta

My mum won't allow me to make my own decisions watch

I have just started year 13 and I am still taking 4 a levels, I feel that I need to drop one because the work load will become too much. My grades this year were BBBD and I took English, Welsh, Health and social and Psychology.
    I got a D in psychology however I don't want to drop this because I think it will give me more life skills and I enjoy the subject a lot more. I got a B in Welsh and I HATE the subject more than anything it is literally the worst option I have taken and I only achieved a high grade because of my coursework being much higher than my exam.
    So I want to drop Welsh and I have done for a while now because it was the decision I made at the end of year 12. My mum however will not allow me to do this and tells me I have to drop psychology, as three Bs will be better for my future at uni. I have tried to explain my way of thinking but she will not have it, she has even threatened ringing school to get them to persuade me too.

What should I do?!? Should I stand my ground and do I what I really want to do, or just listen to my mum and think about my future??:argh::argh:

ReputationRep:
    I would say always, always do what you want to do in this situation.

If you're not going to enjoy Welsh then drop it and keep Psychology.

With things like education, if you don't choose the path you want to do, you'll regret it in 10/20 years time when it's too late to do anything to change it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I have just started year 13 and I am still taking 4 a levels, I feel that I need to drop one because the work load will become too much. My grades this year were BBBD and I took English, Welsh, Health and social and Psychology.
    I got a D in psychology however I don't want to drop this because I think it will give me more life skills and I enjoy the subject a lot more. I got a B in Welsh and I HATE the subject more than anything it is literally the worst option I have taken and I only achieved a high grade because of my coursework being much higher than my exam.
    So I want to drop Welsh and I have done for a while now because it was the decision I made at the end of year 12. My mum however will not allow me to do this and tells me I have to drop psychology, as three Bs will be better for my future at uni. I have tried to explain my way of thinking but she will not have it, she has even threatened ringing school to get them to persuade me too.

What should I do?!? Should I stand my ground and do I what I really want to do, or just listen to my mum and think about my future??:argh::argh:
    Let her ring the school. They won't try very hard and will probably find the whole situation ridiculous.

I agree with the poster above. At this age, your parents really shouldn't dictate your education.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I chose French at the behest of my mum and got a D, do whatever you enjoy.

ReputationRep:
    If it was just a matter of subject choice I would say to make your own decisions and ignore her but personally I would say that three B's gives you a chance at a relatively decent university and some choice of course, BBD does not, I would say to suck it up and do the subjects you are obviously better at, you wont gain any skills from psychology that you can't gain elsewhere

(Original post by Anonymous)

explain to her. A2 GETS HARDER, it's not like AS and if you don't enjoy it then it will be even more harder for you. In Psy you can always resit one module whilst doing A2 to boost your grade up. It's not good to have a D as an AS most unis want a B in AS subjects. Maybe talk to your teacher about resitting a module from psy whilst at A2. People in my school did it and succeeded. Plus expain the UCAS process to your mum; It's subjective and even if you drop Psy it doesn't guarantee unis will give you a place- Remember there are so many people applying. Good luck

I can understand where both you and your mum are coming from here. your mum is doing what she thinks is best for you so don't forget that. BUT she also needs to listen to you more and try to understand your views. As a parent of a 17/18year old I can tell you it's hard to let go and let you make your own decisions. But she has to do this and if it's the wrong decision then she has to be there to pick you up an support you in whatever else you want to do. It would probably be the best decision for your further education to continue with Welsh for another year and get the higher grade but if you're not happy doing that then that has to be your decision. Good luck!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 11, 2015
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.