Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm unsure on what I want to do when I leave college. I've started my AS levels and I'm doing biology, chemistry, statistics and psychology. Joining the army had never crossed my mind however I don't want to go on the front lines? (I'm not so confident on my army jargon) Basically, I don't want to be where all the shooty-shooty stuff is. The army website says that after A levels I can join and get a degree/masters in a field. I'm wondering if I join after A levels I will be able to do so? I want to work in a scientific field to do with biology and chemistry. However, all I have seen is animal care on their website and is the only one that interests me. Is there any other ways to go?

Also, do I have to go though basic military training to do these?

Can someone give me the basic depth I need to know before joining after college and also the process?
    I also have 10 GCSEs
    3 A, 5 B, 2 C
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingAuthor)
    I'm unsure on what I want to do when I leave college. I've started my AS levels and I'm doing biology, chemistry, statistics and psychology. Joining the army had never crossed my mind however I don't want to go on the front lines? (I'm not so confident on my army jargon) Basically, I don't want to be where all the shooty-shooty stuff is. The army website says that after A levels I can join and get a degree/masters in a field. I'm wondering if I join after A levels I will be able to do so? I want to work in a scientific field to do with biology and chemistry. However, all I have seen is animal care on their website and is the only one that interests me. Is there any other ways to go?

Also, do I have to go though basic military training to do these?

Can someone give me the basic depth I need to know before joining after college and also the process?
    I also have 10 GCSEs
    3 A, 5 B, 2 C
    Thanks
    Everybody who joins the Army has to have basic military skills, including weapons handling, fitness, running around in the mud, living in tents, etc. There's no way of avoiding that. It'll happen a lot. If you don't enjoy it, don't even consider a life there.

Yes, you can do further education once you're in, but it's a hell of a lot harder than doing it the way people 'are supposed to' - you'll have to balance doing coursework and exams alongside a full-time job and deployments.

Are you able to narrow down what you mean by a 'sciencey field'? Beyond medical / veterinary areas, there's unlikely to be anything heavily science based.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Everybody who joins the Army has to have basic military skills, including weapons handling, fitness, running around in the mud, living in tents, etc. There's no way of avoiding that. It'll happen a lot. If you don't enjoy it, don't even consider a life there.

Yes, you can do further education once you're in, but it's a hell of a lot harder than doing it the way people 'are supposed to' - you'll have to balance doing coursework and exams alongside a full-time job and deployments.

Are you able to narrow down what you mean by a 'sciencey field'? Beyond medical / veterinary areas, there's unlikely to be anything heavily science based.
    I'm just thinking about military because there is no science-based anything near or 1 hour drive from where I live but there are universities that are 30 minutes away.

I would potentially like having basic military skills if I warmed up to it as it'd be a whole new experience for myself. However, I'm just thinking that if I did join the army after A levels, I'd not get anywhere further than the military...

By science, I mean like science... lmao, it's hard to describe a science when you haven't really touched the surface of it yet. I'd like to do medical but I wouldn't have high enough grades at A level to do medicine and so to do it in the army might give me a chance to help the injured if that's a possibility? I think the military jargon term is medic?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingAuthor)
    By science, I mean like science... lmao, it's hard to describe a science when you haven't really touched the surface of it yet. I'd like to do medical but I wouldn't have high enough grades at A level to do medicine and so to do it in the army might give me a chance to help the injured if that's a possibility? I think the military jargon term is medic?
    That's not a field you should join if you "don't want to be where all the shooty-shooty stuff is".

ReputationRep:
    Have a look at The role of Biomedical Scientist. Biomedical scientists are employed within the army and RAF and if you join unqualified (I.e no degree and no HCPC registration) they will send you to university to study it! You will still need a-levels though. Have a look on their websites they will tell you what you need to know. I'm currently in my third year study Biomed (although not with the army or raf) and it's very "sciency" and very interesting. I have a sneaky suspicion that the army and RAF recruit very little numbers though so it's likely to be very competitive.

Biomed's are posted to field hospitals so not frontline work.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.