The Student Room Group

Biology & Maths

I was just wondering if I could have your opinions.
At the end of the day, yes, I know its entirely my decision; but..

I have a dilema between
Biology & Maths

If I have equal enjoyment in both.
If I have equal ability it both.

Which really would be the easier.
For example I hae heard Biology is a lot of hard work.
I haven't heard this so much about Maths.

With people doing both which in your opinion do you find easier, or if you were going to choose what would you choose.

I know that many opinions won't help I just am interested..

Thank you!
Reply 1
Having studied Biology and Maths, i can say Maths is the better subject.
Reply 2
Biology is a lot of facts to learn, whereas Maths is more about just learning methods etc, and if you're naturally talented with Maths, some people find it a breeze. However, have you considered doing both?
Reply 3
You mean AS/A levels? It depends on what you want to do at uni and so forth - for example, if you want to do something like medicine or biochemistry biology would obviously be a good idea... but for anything else, I'd say Maths is the better of the two. It complements any subject, it is respected everywhere, and if you have a reasonable flair for it the AS is quite straightforward.

I do both and they both have their easy parts and the difficult parts. Maths may require a while to get used to the new concepts and you need to practice it A LOT, but that's it - if you practice enough, your performance gets better. With Biology, it's basically rote-learning so there's not many difficult concepts (not at AS anyway), but on the other hand you'll have quite a ridiculous amount of content to memorise & regurgitate. Plus Biology coursework is a pain in the backside (Maths has no coursework!!).
Reply 4
depends on your career aspirations, have you thought about HE courses?
Reply 5
Yeah, well at this stage in time & for quite some time; I have wanted to go into law.
Either maths or biology being my "science" subject to contrast my other subjects I am doing.

I got a comfortable A in maths in my mock.
If i am doing double science, would you say I have a disadvantage before i start as plenty of people coming from other schools may have done triple science and therefore covered more biology.

I was all set on Biology then I changed on my applications to maths after my mocks. I think my mind is just a bit confused.
Reply 6
If you want to do law, I don't really think it matters. Do both!
Reply 7
tetedupet
If you want to do law, I don't really think it matters. Do both!

my other 3 subjects are set so im definatly not changing them.
i just want peoples opinions on which is easier. but maths having no coursework is a huge bonus for me.
Reply 8
How is having no coursework a bonus? Coursework at A-level is a god-send, it's not like GCSE. It enables you to get an easy A, and you usually get more than 1 go. You could have up to 3 attempts at Biology AS and A2 coursework at my college.
Reply 9
Bexx
i just want peoples opinions on which is easier.

Maths is easier. No memory and no nonsense. 1 + 1 = 2.
Reply 10
tetedupet
How is having no coursework a bonus? Coursework at A-level is a god-send, it's not like GCSE. It enables you to get an easy A, and you usually get more than 1 go. You could have up to 3 attempts at Biology AS and A2 coursework at my college.

I find that if I have coursework you have to do that PLUS revise for examinations. Rather than just revise for examinations like you would do in Maths. You have more time to revise for the exams because there is no coursework therefore hopefully I would be ready for the exams and do well?

If that makes sence? I don't know, i'm only a little gcse student.. asking for help and advice!
I don't know if coursework is a good thing or bad thing :tongue:
Reply 11
I'm a GCSE student too, we know how retarded coursework can be, but my friends in the 6th form always tell me that its helpful to get some easy marks for the final grades.
Maths was easier for me - learn the concepts - apply them - past papers -

Bio was a little tougher - more on memorizing stuff - and answers have to be in depth - and quite tough to gain full marks for questions + severe time constraint in exams
Reply 13
Bexx
my other 3 subjects are set so im definatly not changing them.
i just want peoples opinions on which is easier. but maths having no coursework is a huge bonus for me.

I think what they are suggesting is perhaps you should consider taking 5 AS-levels instead of 4. It's doable, and if you enjoy both subjects then you won't struggle at all. However, the bonuses of taking 5 are negligable.

Anyway, between the two I'd take maths personally. I'd say it's the more interesting of the two and if you find maths easy it'll be fine. That said, personally I've found maths to go incredibly slowly to the point of frustration.
For Law I think Maths might be more useful...
Reply 15
Excalibur
For Law I think Maths might be more useful...

Yes, my friend who wants to do Law is also doing Maths and I would do too if I wanted to do Law because at the sixth form I am going to they recommend that if u want to do biology you should also do chemistry too as they have many similar concepts. (But that just maybe my sixth form and not everyones)
wackysparkle
Maths was easier for me - learn the concepts - apply them - past papers -

Bio was a little tougher - more on memorizing stuff - and answers have to be in depth - and quite tough to gain full marks for questions + severe time constraint in exams

Agree, although I havent had too many problems with the time limit:biggrin: . I still find biology a bit annoying though (doing A2). Maths A level is great, not too hard. Its great around exam time as you can get revision out the way a month early then just do past papers around your other revision. You do have to work consistently at it though, but it pays off not having to memorise a tonne of facts, plus you're tested more on your method so you can still get good marks if you screw up.
Reply 17
Thank you for your opinions, always helpful & I think I shall stick with Maths. Its my choice down at the moment, just had my doubts yesterday, so thank you : )
Yeah, Maths sounds like a good decision. I was basically in the same position as you, but I decided to take both. Turned out that my A2 Maths results were nearly the same as my AS results, but my A2 Biology results were very bad compared to AS :redface:
yeah you're right silent ninja - maths just gets a bit tougher - but is just up to constant revising so that you don't forget those equations - plus its great that you are tested moreso on method rather than answer!
lol - bio time constraints become tougher at A2! - AS it was alright really :wink:

to the OP: glad you chose Maths - you won't regret it :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending