The Student Room Group

Speech and Language therapy 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jo-sie
Hi Mollie, I heard back in jut over 2 weeks but I know someone that only just heard (over 4 weeks on) and she had to contact them. Have you tried giving the admissions office a call? Hope you get good news soon xx

Ah thanks so much for replying. I did email the admissions office yesterday but I may just email the SLT department directly too, perhaps they've forgotten about me! Thanks again :smile: xx
Reply 761
Original post by Mollie-S
Ah thanks so much for replying. I did email the admissions office yesterday but I may just email the SLT department directly too, perhaps they've forgotten about me! Thanks again :smile: xx

The person I know had emailed and didn't get a response.... I don't think it would be unreasonable for you to call them but see how you feel xx
Original post by minhayashi
Hi all, international student here from Singapore.
Got offers from Newcastle and Sheffield, and also interviewed for Reading and am awaiting Reading's reply before I decide.
I am leaning more towards Sheffield as it has a smaller intake (I'm told) for this course and has high student satisfaction each year. Was wondering if anyone could give me some advice/insight about these schools?
Thank you :smile:

I'm a first year at sheffield doing speech and language so if you have any questions feel free to message me :smile:
Anyone putting Cardiff Met as firm/insurance? Just put it as firm for me with man met insurance:smile:
It seems that no one wants to go to city London- lol
Reply 765
has anyone received an offer from city university yet? Or does anyone know how long it will take for them to reply? i had an interview last week
Original post by marwa_s
has anyone received an offer from city university yet? Or does anyone know how long it will take for them to reply? i had an interview last week

I've had an offer since 4th March and I had my interview on the 16th February, so they took about 2 weeks to reply

Is city one of your top choices?
Reply 767
Original post by paigecooney20
I've had an offer since 4th March and I had my interview on the 16th February, so they took about 2 weeks to reply

Is city one of your top choices?

Ohh okay, thanks. Yeah if i get an offer from there it would be my firm.
Original post by marwa_s
Ohh okay, thanks. Yeah if i get an offer from there it would be my firm.

If you don't mind me asking, what's your reasoning behind this? I'm still deciding on what one I should firm and I'm more swayed towards city but I can't really find much about the undergraduate degree online..
Original post by tildawatts
i need help :frown: do i choose the uni that is best for the course (reading) or the uni that i love it's city (manchester met)?! can't decide!!!!

OH MY GOODNESS I WAS IN THE SAME SITUATION. Went for reading...
Original post by tildawatts
i need help :frown: do i choose the uni that is best for the course (reading) or the uni that i love it's city (manchester met)?! can't decide!!!!

I was in a similar position either Newcastle (better university) or Cardiff Met (the one I loved) and I chose Cardiff in the end because employers don't care where you went to university with vocational courses like SLT and at the end of the day you have to go somewhere you are going to be happier because you're going to be there for 3/4 years
Original post by hannahs98
Anyone putting Cardiff Met as firm/insurance? Just put it as firm for me with man met insurance:smile:

I've put Cardiff Met as my firm
Reply 772
Hi guys! Does anyone know how long the first year is in weeks for the man met course?
Original post by kpreece
Hi guys! Does anyone know how long the first year is in weeks for the man met course?

Just curious why you need to know this. If its for the bursary then the system works it out for you when you pick the uni and course you are doing. If its just for info then 34 weeks is a good guide for MMU.
Reply 774
If you don't mind me asking, what's your reasoning behind this? I'm still deciding on what one I should firm and I'm more swayed towards city but I can't really find much about the undergraduate degree online..

Yeah I feel like city doesn't have a lot of information online about the course compared to other unis. But I would choose city as my firm mainly because I don't want to move out of London😝 Also I went to two open days there and I just really liked the feel of it. Its more of a personal preference I guess haha
Reply 775
Original post by AmyPilot
Just curious why you need to know this. If its for the bursary then the system works it out for you when you pick the uni and course you are doing. If its just for info then 34 weeks is a good guide for MMU.

Thank you! Yeah it was for the bursary system (didn't realise it works it out) and making sure the accommodation contracts are long enough because I'm aware that you have to extend accommodation contracts at some unis
Original post by kpreece
Thank you! Yeah it was for the bursary system (didn't realise it works it out) and making sure the accommodation contracts are long enough because I'm aware that you have to extend accommodation contracts at some unis

Yeah NHS bursary account knows how many weeks each course is.

Accommodation at the standard number of weeks will be fine - the longer ones (51 weeks) are aimed at postgrad students. My first year ended about 22 June last year I think with the last week spent on placement. After exams in May you only have a short spell of post-exam teaching then end first year with your placement.
It seems that no one wants to go to city London- lol

TSR is not representative of all applicants. For example, there seem to be an unusually high number of people picking Manchester on the forum this year. In previous years there were of people lots picking DMU and Sheffield. Do not worry about it!
Reply 778
Original post by AmyPilot
Yeah NHS bursary account knows how many weeks each course is.

Accommodation at the standard number of weeks will be fine - the longer ones (51 weeks) are aimed at postgrad students. My first year ended about 22 June last year I think with the last week spent on placement. After exams in May you only have a short spell of post-exam teaching then end first year with your placement.

Oh right! That's good then :smile: thank you!
Anyone still waiting to hear from Sheffield?

Quick Reply

Latest