Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am going in to my third year of an LLB aiming for a first, however, I haven't as of yet secured a training contract. What are my best bets in gaining one? I have relevant legal experience, but my A levels were poor. What are my chances of gaining a TC in a top firm? It is a dream of mine and I am doing everything I can, nothing seems to be going for me when it comes to applications unfortunately.

I am at a loose end and just need some pointers, sorry for the ambiguous thread.

Any help would be appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Find firms who are less bothered by UCAS points - there are some out there.

If the rest of your form is strong, then they will look past your A-levels. But you just need to do a bit of digging to find out who those firms are. I've said it before on here, look for language like "we usually look for" compared to "you must/will have achieved" when they describe academic performance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    Find firms who are less bothered by UCAS points - there are some out there.

If the rest of your form is strong, then they will look past your A-levels. But you just need to do a bit of digging to find out who those firms are. I've said it before on here, look for language like "we usually look for" compared to "you must/will have achieved" when they describe academic performance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    thank you, I will look further in to this

ReputationRep:
    1. Get as high grades as possible
    2. Network - attend several open days, evening reception and law firm events
    3. Research - research all the firms that may not have an A-Level requirement or have very low requirements
    4. Extracurriculars - try and get involved with some extracurriculars where you can display your teamwork and leadership skills amongst others

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What exactly are your A-level grades?

If you are getting past the written application stage, it's probably not your grades going against you. However, if you're not getting past that, then you could well be failing to get past any filters that might be in place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TCchaser)
    What exactly are your A-level grades?

If you are getting past the written application stage, it's probably not your grades going against you. However, if you're not getting past that, then you could well be failing to get past any filters that might be in place.
    CCD
    DD At AS level.

I have progressed on to Clifford Chance's verbal reasoning test on an occasion, would this suggest it is not my grades holding me back?

ReputationRep:
    You've got very little chance with those grades. CCs invitation is automatic. Sorry man, but truth

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheoryofKnow)
    You've got very little chance with those grades. CCs invitation is automatic. Sorry man, but truth

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No problem, thanks for information! Aiming and predicted a high 2.1/ 1st.
    Just wish A levels went better

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tommorgan20)
    No problem, thanks for information! Aiming and predicted a high 2.1/ 1st.
    Just wish A levels went better
    I know someone who was in a very similar situation to you. Had terrible A-Levels, went to a relatively mediocre university but got the highest first class grade in the entire year, won a scholarship to do a masters at a Top 5 university then received training contract offers from leading city firms.

It will be extremely difficult but I wouldn't say that it is impossible!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilzoldier)
    I know someone who was in a very similar situation to you. Had terrible A-Levels, went to a relatively mediocre university but got the highest first class grade in the entire year, won a scholarship to do a masters at a Top 5 university then received training contract offers from leading city firms.

It will be extremely difficult but I wouldn't say that it is impossible!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wow that's amazing, thanks for your story

ReputationRep:
    Check out CC's Intelligent Aid competition, it sounds like something that would benefit you. Your grades will hold you back, but it's not a death sentence; i say this as someone with a mc tc that has poor a-levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fermionic)
    Check out CC's Intelligent Aid competition, it sounds like something that would benefit you. Your grades will hold you back, but it's not a death sentence; i say this as someone with a mc tc that has poor a-levels.
    Thanks for the information will check it out, great inspiration

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.