The Student Room Group

Give it to me straight - Do you need good memory to be intelligent?

Just curious - Had a phase about 2 years ago where I hit extreme depression because of my girlfriend (It's stupid - it was a first love kinda thing, overreacted), but I ended up dropping college because of it, and after(still), I struggle with things I used to be good at. Now I want to be a coder, but it involves good memory kinda. Anyway, I can't improve memory (I've tried) but I'd like to be successful. Still possible or?.. thanks!
QUOTE=Vossy_1996;59243179]Just curious - Had a phase about 2 years ago where I hit extreme depression because of my girlfriend (It's stupid - it was a first love kinda thing, overreacted), but I ended up dropping college because of it, and after(still), I struggle with things I used to be good at. Now I want to be a coder, but it involves good memory kinda. Anyway, I can't improve memory (I've tried) but I'd like to be successful. Still possible or?.. thanks![ QUOTE]

Maybe your memory was really hit by depression? I'm sure that can happen... have you sorted it out now?

I've been through depression too and I really couldn't function properly either.
Reply 2
Sometimes it takes time to build yourself back up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by VotreAltesse
QUOTE=Vossy_1996;59243179]Just curious - Had a phase about 2 years ago where I hit extreme depression because of my girlfriend (It's stupid - it was a first love kinda thing, overreacted), but I ended up dropping college because of it, and after(still), I struggle with things I used to be good at. Now I want to be a coder, but it involves good memory kinda. Anyway, I can't improve memory (I've tried) but I'd like to be successful. Still possible or?.. thanks![ QUOTE]

Maybe your memory was really hit by depression? I'm sure that can happen... have you sorted it out now?

I've been through depression too and I really couldn't function properly either.

I got over it quite a while ago, over a year ago, but the issue was that I never actually went to the doctors about it. I basically sat in my room crying for about 4 straight months and refused to go outside. Then read that apparently untreated depression can be quite bad so I'm slightly worried. Not sure if the doctor is worth seeing as it's probably been too long.
You say that you can't improve your memory having tried, but I question whether you have tried hard enough and for long enough. You can develop any skill required for whatever it is you may have an interest in. However, it may just take longer and harder work to develop certain skills in comparison to others. If coding is what you want to do, then developing the skills to pursue it like having a good memory really shouldn't stand in your way.

I would say memory is a facet that contributes to overall intelligence.
you need good memory to be knowledgeable.

Intelligence is more problem solving skill imo.
Reply 6
Struggling with things you were good at before doesn't necessarily mean you don't have a good enough memory. If you spend a while not working on stuff it's very easy to forget things - I reckon so long as you dove into the coding and stuck with it you'd likely be okay. And it is possible to be successful/"intelligent" to a good extent without great memory. Personally my working memory is often quite horrendous and long term sometimes even worse but I've been academically successful.

Quick Reply