The Student Room Group
Canterbury Cathedral
Canterbury Christ Church University
Canterbury
Visit website

Free/cheap parking in Canterbury

I would really appreciate if anyone could help me with any free or cheap parking in Canterbury at all please! I will be studying at CCCU and living in halls near Canterbury east station. The accommodation offices have refused to give me a parking permit to parking outside my accommodation - so now I'm desperately searching for alternative parking. I've already contacted the council to see what they can do, but thought I'd give asking on here a go to see if anyone knows of any car parks that are free or cheap for me to park my car in overnight.
Also if anyone knows of any parking around the campus that would be a great help! As apparently there's no parking on campus (yet on a map of the campus that they gave me there's tons of parking signs on the site?) this is giving me a headache! lol

Thank you!
Hayley
Reply 1
Hi,

Sorry there is no free parking in Canterbury. We live here, as well as being a student. We got rid of our car as there is no where to park. You won't travel by car to the uni, as it is so close. My first suggestion would be to leave the car at home. The second option is to try to get a parking ticket for one of the long term car parks in the 'outer' area. There is one on the Old Dover Road opposite the police station, Holmans Meadow, (I think). The council do cheaper rates for there, I think. But it could cost you £400 to £500 a term. When you eventually get into other accommodation make sure you get a place with a parking space with it. eg.10 St Stephen's Close. It comes with two parking places and is outside my window!!!

Good luck in finding a space. Uni is really bad for parking any longer than 2 hours, I think. North holmes Road is targetted by the parking officers and lots of yellow on windscreens. Parking on site is for disabled and staff.
Canterbury Cathedral
Canterbury Christ Church University
Canterbury
Visit website
Reply 2
There certainly is free parking, you just need to look for it.

Can't remember the name of the road but it is opposite the Royal Mail sorting office (near Dominoes). It is free all day and very safe, I spent my entire third year parking there and never had any problems whatsoever. Only a few minutes walk to campus.

There is also one a little further out that I used in my first year (second year had a driveway, third year commuted). It's opposite the army barracks so come out of North Holmes Road and turn left, go up the hill (past the speed camera) and you will see the army barracks, you can park opposite there for free all day and only a 10-minute walk. On the same route, if you take the first left before the army barracks (just before newsagent (costcutter?)) you go into an estate, you can park there all day for free as well. There is a little shortcut on foot which takes you out by the graveyard so very handy :smile:
Dear Hayley,

I know the frustration well. The one by Canterbury east is 2.50 on a Saturday for 24 hours. After 5 pm main campus parking is available unofficially. There is a 24 hour computer room there as well which you may very well be using. I have worked there till 11pm on occasion. Only other idea I have is the park and ride near Morrisons or find other students living in digs near you and park in their street. Sorry can't be of help as all anecdotal. The car park opposite police station near Augustine house exorbitant! Also get advice from student support. Don't be shy ask everyone you meet at your lectures. Meanwhile don't be upset mitigate cost with a Saturday job and park in cheapest place. Who knows the job may come with parking! eg council offices?, ushering at the cathedral, working in cafes on uni campuses? You sound tenacious so you will succeed.
Best of luck in all your endeavors.
ps you might have to persuade yourself to cycle or walk I know its hard when used to a cosy car but look at it as an opportunity goodness knows who you might meet!
You can park for free in Spring Lane (past the Old Sessions House). You have to get there early (or late!) Otherwise it's pretty difficult but not unlike any other city. I don't know why you would bother with a car at all - the cost could outweigh the benefit.

Quick Reply