Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm quite confused about the entry requirements for this course!! I got AAB in my AS levels and am going for at least 3 As next year! Is this good enough to be accepted or do they judge students based more on their personal statement and interview? Please help 🙏
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by miahansen)
    I'm quite confused about the entry requirements for this course!! I got AAB in my AS levels and am going for at least 3 As next year! Is this good enough to be accepted or do they judge students based more on their personal statement and interview? Please help 🙏
    Hi Miahansen,

Our course leaders look at each aspect of an application when considering the suitability of a prospective student. You will be asked to submit an essay you've already done, and two further short pieces (see the link below) along with your application form. It is important you demonstrate an ability to communicate effectively, think creatively and engage with experimentation and invention. For full details, see the "Entry Requirements" section of this page:

http://www.arts.ac.uk/csm/courses/un...-and-curation/

Grades are obviously a consideration, though the entry requirements aren't too demanding for BA CCC - three A Level passes (120 UCAS points) and 5 GCSE passes at C or above.

This is the bare minimum though, and successful applicants generally achieve As or Bs in essay-based humanities subjects, such as History, History of Art, English Literature, Philosophy, Government and Politics, Classical Studies. So if you're taking courses in this general area and expect to receive AAA, this shouldn't be a problem for you, as long as the rest of your application is of the same standard.

A portfolio isn't a requirement, though you may want to present examples of visual work you've undertaken if you think it'll benefit your application.

I hope this helps, but please let me know if you have further questions.

Alex

ReputationRep:
    I would really like to apply for the course but have not actually completed at 2000 word essay in a humanities subject. I have written on that is 1000 for my English coursework, could i possibly submit two 1000 word essays? Im not quite sure what to do.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by hstubbs)
    I would really like to apply for the course but have not actually completed at 2000 word essay in a humanities subject. I have written on that is 1000 for my English coursework, could i possibly submit two 1000 word essays? Im not quite sure what to do.
    Hi hstubbs,

Apologies for the late response - I've been on leave. Could you let me know where you saw the requirement for a 2000 word essay? This isn't detailed on the course page as far as I can tell - was it on UCAS? If you let me know I'll get in touch with the relevant department at Central Saint Martins directly.

Alex

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by University of the Arts London)
    Hi Miahansen,

Our course leaders look at each aspect of an application when considering the suitability of a prospective student. You will be asked to submit an essay you've already done, and two further short pieces (see the link below) along with your application form. It is important you demonstrate an ability to communicate effectively, think creatively and engage with experimentation and invention. For full details, see the "Entry Requirements" section of this page:

http://www.arts.ac.uk/csm/courses/un...-and-curation/

Grades are obviously a consideration, though the entry requirements aren't too demanding for BA CCC - three A Level passes (120 UCAS points) and 5 GCSE passes at C or above.

This is the bare minimum though, and successful applicants generally achieve As or Bs in essay-based humanities subjects, such as History, History of Art, English Literature, Philosophy, Government and Politics, Classical Studies. So if you're taking courses in this general area and expect to receive AAA, this shouldn't be a problem for you, as long as the rest of your application is of the same standard.

A portfolio isn't a requirement, though you may want to present examples of visual work you've undertaken if you think it'll benefit your application.

I hope this helps, but please let me know if you have further questions.

Alex
    I had no idea about the essays we had to send off with the application, and I can't see anything about that on the webpage! How long must each of the pieces be? Should I submit my EPQ (4,000 - 5,000 words) or something like my English Lit coursework (1,500-2,000 words)?

Thank you!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by miahansen)
    I had no idea about the essays we had to send off with the application, and I can't see anything about that on the webpage! How long must each of the pieces be? Should I submit my EPQ (4,000 - 5,000 words) or something like my English Lit coursework (1,500-2,000 words)?

Thank you!
    Apologies, I've answered this enquiry pretty poorly!

Firstly, I referred you to the "Entry Requirements" section, when the information is actually located in the "Apply" section (under "what happens next"), and secondly, the essays don't need to be submitted alongside your application - your application form, personal statement and references will determine whether you're invited to an interview, at which point you'll need to post your essays in advance.

Regarding which you should submit, I would recommend sending the piece you think is your strongest work, providing it demonstrates a suitability for the course. Your English Literature coursework would be fine (I'm assuming this is an A level piece?), but the format isn't specified and neither is a word count, so if your EPQ is in a relevant subject area and you feel it demonstrates your best work, that would be fine too.

I hope that makes more sense than my previous attempt!

Alex

ReputationRep:
    Ah I see! Thank you for your help

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
University of the Arts London resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.