The Student Room Group

Is abs available with discs and drums as the lupo was only available with abs if disc

Is abs available with disc brakes at the front and drum brakes at the back as the Volkswagen Lupo was only available with abs if disc were fitted (petrol Lupo sport with discs front and rear had abs TDI diesel lupo sport with ducs and drums didn't have abs) ? I heard the second generation skoda Fabia had discs and drums yet still had abs. Also many pickups have discs and drums (maybe someone can answer why pick up don't have discs front and rear) yet may still have abs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hsv
Is abs available with disc brakes at the front and drum brakes at the back as the Volkswagen Lupo was only available with abs if disc were fitted (petrol Lupo sport with discs front and rear had abs TDI diesel lupo sport with ducs and drums didn't have abs) ? I heard the second generation skoda Fabia had discs and drums yet still had abs. Also many pickups have discs and drums (maybe someone can answer why pick up don't have discs front and rear) yet may still have abs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not really sure what you're asking here. There's no technical reason why you can't use ABS with both discs and drums, but I don't know whether VW/Skoda ever did.

As for pickups, they spend a lot of their time running around with nothing in the bed so the rear wheels have very limited traction and drums will happily lock them up, so they work fine whilst being cheaper and lower drag.
The gross axle weight rating of these range from 2000Lbs to 12000lbs, just imagine how much torture a disc brake will undergo to stop these truck under extreme payloads. Disc brakes can be used to stop but those will wear up like crazy, to save money drum brakes are used in rear, they have brake shoes which almost work for ever :tongue:. Plus these come equipped with leaf spring instead of coil-overs or conventional spring which in turn stiffens the suspension compensating lesser driving comfort but when these truck are fully loaded they just drive like a S-Class mercedes :biggrin:.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by CurlyBen
Not really sure what you're asking here. There's no technical reason why you can't use ABS with both discs and drums, but I don't know whether VW/Skoda ever did.

As for pickups, they spend a lot of their time running around with nothing in the bed so the rear wheels have very limited traction and drums will happily lock them up, so they work fine whilst being cheaper and lower drag.

Ahh I see so the lupo TDI could have had abs with discs and drums fitted it's just Volkswagen for some reason did not want to fit abs to the lupo TDI and the lupo 1.4 16 valve petrol sport had abs but for some coincidence had discs front and rear but could have had discs and drums but also had abs if Volkswagen wanted to fit it with that setup.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hsv
Ahh I see so the lupo TDI could have had abs with discs and drums fitted it's just Volkswagen for some reason did not want to fit abs to the lupo TDI and the lupo 1.4 16 valve petrol sport had abs but for some coincidence had discs front and rear but could have had discs and drums but also had abs if Volkswagen wanted to fit it with that setup.

Posted from TSR Mobile

All car (service) brakes, whether disc or drum, use hydraulic pressure to actuate the brakes. All an ABS system does is modulate hydraulic pressure when a wheel locks up, so all the wheels continue to turn. The ABS controller doesn't know or care whether the brake lines coming out of it are connected to a disc brake or a drum brake.

As for why VW installed certain combinations on certain cars, it was probably down to cost and marketing.

Quick Reply

Latest