Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am applying for a Computer Science course. I have never achieved more than a Silver in a UKMT Maths Challenge... Is it worth mentioning the result or even that I did it?

I really enjoy mathematics in general. How important is it to talk about maths for a CS personal statement?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Incongruous)
    I am applying for a Computer Science course. I have never achieved more than a Silver in a UKMT Maths Challenge... Is it worth mentioning the result or even that I did it?

I really enjoy mathematics in general. How important is it to talk about maths for a CS personal statement?
    Generally speaking maths is an important aspect of computer science. It depends on what sort of unis you apply to - the more academic they are, the more they'll care about your maths.
    If you apply to the very best universities it may not be worth mentioning the actual result because there will be students with better results then that. You can just mention taking part and that you enjoyed it. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ¡Muy bien!)
    Generally speaking maths is an important aspect of computer science. It depends on what sort of unis you apply to - the more academic they are, the more they'll care about your maths.
    If you apply to the very best universities it may not be worth mentioning the actual result because there will be students with better results then that. You can just mention taking part and that you enjoyed it. Good luck!
    Thank you for your answer.
    I do have a keen interest in maths. I really enjoy it so I wouldn't be faking it :P

Do they even check things like Maths challenge results?

ReputationRep:
    I would think it would be worth it; I think you should realise that you're probably smarter than a heck of a lot of people, in mathematical capabilities. Like there would be many who are smarter than you, it seems, but not many people are actually near that good when considering everyone.

I think I've got the exact same award too. Anyway just add it, most things are worth it.

Don't quote me on this though.

ReputationRep:
    It's just that looking at PS on this website I read things such as "I won Gold for 5 years in a row" and it just makes me feel awkward <,<
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Mention it only if you have the space to but the main focus should be on your academic interest in the subject you want to study. You can include a para about your interest in math and how it relates to CS. You can also ask your referee to mention it.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.