Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    HI all Im about to go into third year and need some knowledge i got to queen mary studying history. Queen mary states that you need 270 credits to pass and get a degree and you take a total of 360 i was wondering though if the 270 is then what they judge to give you your overall mark overall so for instance dot they take your best credits module scores to get your overall degree classification or do they take the full 360?

the weighting for queen mary are 10 percent first year 30 percent 2nd year and 60 percent third year

ReputationRep:
    The credits refer to the number of modules you take. It's not about how they work out your final grade, but is the basic type of degree you've earned - Honours or non-Honours/Pass/Ordinary.

It varies between unis, but it looks like for you, the minimum number of module credits you need are 270. At my undergrad uni, that would mean you would be capped at a Pass degree because you hadn't done enough modules for an Honours degree. A Pass degree at most unis is a non-Honours degree which is lower than a Third but above a fail. A common reason to get a Pass degree would be to pass your taught units (for you, 270 credits in total) but fail your dissertation - for you, the extra 90 credits which get you to the 360 you need for an Honours degree.

Your dissertation is usually weighted to be more credits than one taught unit. At my undergrad uni, each taught module was worth 20 credits and the dissertation was worth 60. We did 120 credits per year; six taught modules per year in the first and second years, with three taught units and the dissertation in the third year.

Beyond that, your final grade (First/2:1/2:2/3rd) is based on the percentage marks you get in your coursework, exams, dissertation etc. That's where the weighting aspect comes in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    The credits refer to the number of modules you take. It's not about how they work out your final grade, but is the basic type of degree you've earned - Honours or non-Honours/Pass/Ordinary.

It varies between unis, but it looks like for you, the minimum number of module credits you need are 270. At my undergrad uni, that would mean you would be capped at a Pass degree because you hadn't done enough modules for an Honours degree. A Pass degree at most unis is a non-Honours degree which is lower than a Third but above a fail. A common reason to get a Pass degree would be to pass your taught units (for you, 270 credits in total) but fail your dissertation - for you, the extra 90 credits which get you to the 360 you need for an Honours degree.

Your dissertation is usually weighted to be more credits than one taught unit. At my undergrad uni, each taught module was worth 20 credits and the dissertation was worth 60. We did 120 credits per year; six taught modules per year in the first and second years, with three taught units and the dissertation in the third year.

Beyond that, your final grade (First/2:1/2:2/3rd) is based on the percentage marks you get in your coursework, exams, dissertation etc. That's where the weighting aspect comes in.
    I thought some unis picked your best grades and then simply ignored other modules that's what they do at mine (Coventry) I need find this bit out more tho'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)

So all modules are taken into account? Some people have told me that they only select your best ones. which is what I'm really hoping for

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lowkey989)
    I thought some unis picked your best grades and then simply ignored other modules that's what they do at mine (Coventry) I need find this bit out more tho'
    Thats what I thought but I really don't know its confusing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lowkey989)
    The OP needs to check for his own uni about their marking scheme. I've never come across a uni degree grading scheme which just ignores poor grades, but that's not to say there aren't more out there. At both my undergrad and Masters unis, all marks were used for the final grade calculation (all marks from the first year of my undergrad were automatically disregarded).

I don't believe that the number of credits gives the final degree percentage, but the type of degree awarded. Again, the OP should check with their own uni.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.