callum623
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm currently at college but hoping to move to sixth form instead. I have no idea what i actually want to do later in life so i'm not sure if I have made the right choice of subjects. I want to do history, english language and ICT or sociology.

I didn't do sociology at GCSE but i got 2 A*s in 2 history papers and an A in my english paper. Also a B in ICT. My overall grades were B's however. Would this be enough and are these subjects good choices?
brxvebird
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by callum623)
I'm currently at college but hoping to move to sixth form instead. I have no idea what i actually want to do later in life so i'm not sure if I have made the right choice of subjects. I want to do history, english language and ICT or sociology.

I didn't do sociology at GCSE but i got 2 A*s in 2 history papers and an A in my english paper. Also a B in ICT. My overall grades were B's however. Would this be enough and are these subjects good choices?
Hello!
I don't think not doing Sociology at GCSE will put you at a disadvantage. I didn't and I still got a good AS Grade, nobody in my class had either and there were a lot of A grades by the end of our first year. As long as you put the work in you'll be fine.
As you don't have much of an idea of what you want to do after A-Levels, you're better off taking some facilitating subjects that Universities like to see in order to keep your options as open as possible. History is one of them so that sounds like a good option! English Language is a good subject that I really enjoy, but isn't as well respected as Literature. Have you considered doing that instead? It's a facilitating subject and while its harder than Language (imo and I'm sure many will agree, I do both) it's still enjoyable.
callum623
Rep:
?
(Original post by brxvebird)
Hello!
I don't think not doing Sociology at GCSE will put you at a disadvantage. I didn't and I still got a good AS Grade, nobody in my class had either and there were a lot of A grades by the end of our first year. As long as you put the work in you'll be fine.
As you don't have much of an idea of what you want to do after A-Levels, you're better off taking some facilitating subjects that Universities like to see in order to keep your options as open as possible. History is one of them so that sounds like a good option! English Language is a good subject that I really enjoy, but isn't as well respected as Literature. Have you considered doing that instead? It's a facilitating subject and while its harder than Language (imo and I'm sure many will agree, I do both) it's still enjoyable.
Thank you for the reply I did language and literature at gcse but found literature harder and more confusing. I only got a C where as i got a B in language so i feel i'd do better in language. I do have the option of taking both but i'm not sure. Would you say that's a good idea?
L'Evil Fish
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by callum623)

They're not great subjects in terms of being facilitating.

History yep
I'd swap Language with English Literature
Keep sociology

Then do something else...

Biology? Maths? Economics? A language? Geography?
0VOID0
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I don't know about other subjects, but I'd probably swap Maths for ICT. Maths is much more respected and desired. Furthermore ICT is simpler and easier to learn in free time (if you like it that much).
callum623
Rep:
?
(Original post by 0VOID0)
I don't know about other subjects, but I'd probably swap Maths for ICT. Maths is much more respected and desired. Furthermore ICT is simpler and easier to learn in free time (if you like it that much).
Maths isn't an option for me. I'm bad at it and would fail if I did it at A-level. A lot of people have said ICT is more of a soft subject so i'll probably go with sociology.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (325)
55.75%
I don't have everything I need (258)
44.25%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

Oops, nobody has posted
in the last few hours.

Why not re-start the conversation?

Start new discussion

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise