Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    I'm a Canadian student studying in the UK, wondering whether or not I might be able to get on to an MFL PGCE without an undergraduate degree in a Modern Foreign Language.

    I've studied French for eleven of twelve years of my pre-university schooling, completed a course that some Canadian universities would consider a uni-level course (AP French language and composition, though I understand that UK universities generally don't do AP transfer credit), achieved the B2 level on the DELF, and maintain fluency in French (I try to read the news in French, watch TV in French, and practice with family). However, none of my undergraduate courses have been in French - I'm doing a degree in History and Classics. My question is whether or not I might be able to get on a PGCE course as a native speaker, even though French isn't strictly my mother tongue, or whether I'm just better off applying to a history one?

    As MFL subjects are massively underrepresented by people choosing to go into teaching, the government is offering a bursary and further training programme to people who want to teach languages but don't have a degree in the subject (as long as they have a post-16 qualification in the subject i.e. an A level). I don't know if the bursary would be available to you as an international student, but not having a degree in the subject is certainly not a hindrance in taking a PGCE course in it. The government also offer (and fund) SKE courses to be taken before or alongside a PGCE course for those who need to brush up their skills a bit.
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 29, 2015

University open days

  1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.