The Student Room Group

Are there many students at university that don't drink alcohol?

I'm starting university in 2 weeks. There's a massive drinking culture that I just don't fit into. I don't drink, not because of religion, I just don't really get it; it seems a bit overrated to me. I feel like I'm going to loose out socially if all of my friends are planning a night out and I either don't go, or force myself to go but don't enjoy it that much.

Has anyone been in this situation?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ImNotSuperman
I feel like I'm going to loose out socially if all of my friends are planning a night out and I either don't go, or force myself to go but don't enjoy it that much.

Nights out don't have to be just about the drinking, you can have a couple pints or a cocktail and just chat some sh*t the entire time without getting wasted.

And nobody really cares either, you should be just fine. :yy:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by zyzzyspirit
Nights out don't have to be just about the drinking, you can have a couple pints or a cocktail and just chat some sh*t the entire time without getting wasted.

And nobody really cares either, you should be just fine. :yy:

I've never actually looked at it that way :biggrin:
Reply 3
I don't drink as well. Join some clubs and societies fam. They will hold plenty of non drinking events.

Azim H- Certified Roadman
I don't drink but I do go out. You'll get a lot of people trying to pressure you into drinking but the people who matter won't care. If you act superior for not drinking and refuse to go to pubs and house parties because people are drinking then you might find it difficult to fit in (there's a lot of having a drink in the Union bar after lectures or at society meetings) but if you drink something non-alcoholic eventually no-one will care.
Reply 5
From my experiences at Southampton most students do tend to drink.

If you're not in to that I would recommend joining a few student societies - ones where you can go down casually a lot (like the gaming society) or more event-based ones like bowling or a sporting activity.
ahh, I remember when I had your attitude - it sucked
I'm starting university in 2 weeks. There's a massive drinking culture that I just don't fit into. I don't drink, not because of religion, I just don't really get it; it seems a bit overrated to me. I feel like I'm going to loose out socially if all of my friends are planning a night out and I either don't go, or force myself to go but don't enjoy it that much.

Hi there,

From experience, not all students want to drink but they feel like they have to like you've said. But no one really bothers you if you go out and just have a soft drink, they care more about what they are drinking than what you do.

A lot of times, even on freshers I had to keep a clear head because I was driving home or catching a train (I commuted to university) and I had some amazing nights out not drinking.

It could imagine it would be hard to bond if you didn't go out with them at all, but don't feel as though you have to drink, just hang around for their pre drinks and don't go out when they leave, or instead plan nights out that involve music/open mic nights or even when universities do quizzes in teams.

Maybe avoid going to the primarily just drinking nights if you don't enjoy them - but don't cut yourself off completely, suggest other things to do!

I hope this helps,
- Kath :h:.

Some people drink to get drunk, some people drink to relax, some people drink because it tastes good. Most people do a bit of everything.

Unfortunately, there is this myth that university only ever involves people getting drunk off their tits and doing stupid things. The vast majority of drinking is not like that.

Why wouldn't you enjoy nights out? Don't you like interesting conversations, laughter, and sex with hot girls?

If you're with the right company, nobody will care. All of my friends don't care whether you drink when you go out togther or not. Many in my friendship group don't drink for religious reasons but still come out clubbing apnd have a good time. I don't particularly like drinking and unless it's a big night out, no alcohol or a bottle of desperados (it's one of the only alcholic drink that I'd drink for pleasure) will do.

I've never received any grief for it and the only person who has given me a bit of grief is the kind of person who has far too much money and is a complete hypocrite when it comes to money or drinking. She's also the kind of person who is shocked about the fact that loads of people on our course had never been drunk before university and don't get smashed now.

Even in my sports club, for initiations any non-drinkers would have been included and the same goes for sportsnight etc. People who care about you not drinking, especially for religious reasons, really aren't worth your time. I know that this is very cliché but it is true.

Anyway, if you go out with mates who are smashed, as long as you don't have to clean up the pieces, being the sober/most sober one is great because you get to watch them acting like prats and can remind them about it for the rest of the year :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I dont drink and I've faced a few students who are committed to getting me drunk but also support from peers who invite me out but not to drinking events. You face some people who aren't mature enough to accept other people's choices but the overwhelming majority are not bothered by it.
Original post by cole-slaw

Why wouldn't you enjoy nights out? Don't you like interesting conversations, laughter, and sex with hot girls?

You don't need to drink/go on a night out to have an interesting conversation, laugh, or have sex.
Original post by EloiseStar
You don't need to drink/go on a night out to have an interesting conversation, laugh, or have sex.

You're right, you can laugh and have both conversation and sex by yourself in your room with your imaginary girlfriend.
Nah it'll be chill. In general, it's very unlikely you're the only person who does/likes certain things.

There is quite a few people that don't drink at university but you won't loose out socially, people respect your decisions.
You don't have to drink to have a good night out, you can still go out and enjoy dancing and hanging out with other people - however, if you don't want to go out, don't. There are plenty of other social events during Freshers and throughout the year that you'll be able to join!
You're right, you can laugh and have both conversation and sex by yourself in your room with your imaginary girlfriend.

Or inflatable. No judgement here.
Original post by JustGeorgeJ
if you don't want to go out, don't. There are plenty of other social events during Freshers and throughout the year that you'll be able to join!

This makes no sense.

First you advise the OP that he doesn't have to go out. Then you point out that he could go to a lot of other social events.

Are you suggesting those social events will be held in OP's flat? Otherwise how else will he attend them without going out?
Original post by EloiseStar
Or inflatable. No judgement here.

True, I hadn't considered that.

I am genuinely curious how you think OP will be able to have conversation and sex without going out of his flat in the evenings. Unless you think his flatmates are going to stay in and have sex with him out of pity.
This makes no sense.

First you advise the OP that he doesn't have to go out. Then you point out that he could go to a lot of other social events.

Are you suggesting those social events will be held in OP's flat? Otherwise how else will he attend them without going out?

The OP was going out drinking, at least that's what I took from his post.
I suggested that he doesn't have to go out if he doesn't want too to drinking events.

I was then suggesting that there is still plenty of social events during Freshers, e.g. day time events run by the SU and university that he can attend that won't include drinking.

Unless he doesn't want to go out all together?

I can see that it wasn't clear that I meant that.
True, I hadn't considered that.

I am genuinely curious how you think OP will be able to have conversation and sex without going out of his flat in the evenings. Unless you think his flatmates are going to stay in and have sex with him out of pity.

I remember a pretty much identical thread from the freshers' season last year and I'm pretty sure you wrote the exact same 'advice' you're writing in this thread 😂 Hoping to see your inspirational posts this time next year, too :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending