Turn on thread page Beta

Terror arrests meet record high... watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34206326

My concern is that these figures are before the recent migrant crisis. How high will they be once the UK takes in many more thousands?

I personally believe that being of any religion is fine. Islam, Christianity, Judaism (the Abrahamic religions), all believe in a God. It isn't religion that is a problem.

I completely accept that terrorists such as ISIS resent other Muslims also-they are not representative of all Muslims by any means.

However, we must also accept that at a time when police numbers are so stretched that they in some parts of the country do not investigate burglaries in odd numbered houses can we really afford to see more immigration?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-33788264

In all of the talk from the right, and the left, there is much hysteria. I think of myself as more middle ground. I want to see a civilised society. I thus think we should help people in war-torn countries. However, I reject the approach taken now that seems to be to help these people and put your own in danger. It is common sense that ISIS will use this refugee crisis to try and get people into Europe. They wish to attack Europe and thus need fighters inside it. This crisis is just an open door for such people.

This situation just looks like a complete mess and I the EU referendum cannot come soon enough. Provide aid for these people-fine. That is being compassionate. Don't demonise the whole of your host Muslim population for the acts of an extremist group-you wouldn't judge all Christians by the KKK? Also fine. But have an open door when you know what is coming through will be dangerous to your own population, whilst also cutting defence and police spending? Madness.

ReputationRep:
    Not strictly relevant to the OP, but what I really want to see in the UK is a left-wing or centre-left party with a sensible immigration policy.

Basically, Corbyn's manifesto with UKIP's Eurosceptic immigration policy. With the ridiculous amount of immigration straining our public services and creating cultural divisions, closing our borders and leaving the EU is long overdue...

ReputationRep:
    "It is not possible to put terrorism in your pocket and use it as a card because it is like a scorpion which won't hesitate to sting you at the first opportunity," - bashar al assad

Our government is supporting terrorists in the middle east, so the backlash is expected.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by halal kebab5)
    "It is not possible to put terrorism in your pocket and use it as a card because it is like a scorpion which won't hesitate to sting you at the first opportunity," - bashar al assad

Our government is supporting terrorists in the middle east, so the backlash is expected.
    I am not a fan of UK government policy as a whole. I think it should leave other nations be. It is clear UK influence is not welcome. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to see that the UK and US picks and chooses leaders to appoint or remove in these nations based on selfish interests.

For cases such as Libya when yes, Gaddafi may have been an evil man, the UK clearly does not have the ability to intervene and make the situation better. International sanctions, even providing aid to refugees fleeing the regime, would be a better approach than military action.It would probably even be cheaper as well for those concerned with finances and humanitarian need.

If the UK wishes to intervene it should not be by supporting violence-whether backing "freedom fighters" who are then decided to be terrorists or bombing itself.

So while I am concerned with UK refugee policy, I am also against UK foreign policy. I desire both to change. I am under no illusion that the UK and US have plenty of secrets. When you look at the Chilcot enquiry delay (understatement of the decade) it confirms this for me. However, I am under no illusions that ISIS will try and use this migrant crisis as the opportunity of a lifetime to wreak havoc in the West.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i<3milkshake)
    I am not a fan of UK government policy as a whole. I think it should leave other nations be. It is clear UK influence is not welcome. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to see that the UK and US picks and chooses leaders to appoint or remove in these nations based on selfish interests.

For cases such as Libya when yes, Gaddafi may have been an evil man, the UK clearly does not have the ability to intervene and make the situation better. International sanctions, even providing aid to refugees fleeing the regime, would be a better approach than military action.It would probably even be cheaper as well for those concerned with finances and humanitarian need.

If the UK wishes to intervene it should not be by supporting violence-whether backing "freedom fighters" who are then decided to be terrorists or bombing itself.

So while I am concerned with UK refugee policy, I am also against UK foreign policy. I desire both to change. I am under no illusion that the UK and US have plenty of secrets. When you look at the Chilcot enquiry delay (understatement of the decade) it confirms this for me. However, I am under no illusions that ISIS will try and use this migrant crisis as the opportunity of a lifetime to wreak havoc in the West.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.