The Student Room Group

CS Personal Statement

I've just finished draft three of my computer science personal statement. However, I'm still considerably under the word limit which surprises me given so many people seem to have the opposite problem. I've talked about all the following and related the acquired skills back to the degree...

1) Developing a website to host a charity radio show
2) Presenting a 24 hour radio show that raised £800 for Teenage Cancer Trust
3) Running my own successful online business for 2 years, utilising php, html, css, js etc
4) Volunteering at cubs
5) Completing Duke of Edinburgh's Bronze Award
6) Helping to spot a security flaw in a major online gaming platform

Do you think it'll be strong enough? Ideally, I'd have loved to get some work experience but with CS it appears to be one of those 'who you know' situations. :frown:
Your PS should mainly be about your interest in the subject and why you want to study it at uni. You should talk in detail about your specific academic interests, any reading you've done around the subject, any lectures seminars or summer schools you've been to etc. If most of your statement is about points 2-5 then you need to re-think it. Your extra curriculars that are not directly relevant to the subject should only be in a short para of about 100 words with a focus on relevant transferable skills gained. You could have an entire para about the CS aspects of 1 and another one about the CS aspects of 3 and 6.
Original post by alleycat393
Your PS should mainly be about your interest in the subject and why you want to study it at uni. You should talk in detail about your specific academic interests, any reading you've done around the subject, any lectures seminars or summer schools you've been to etc. If most of your statement is about points 2-5 then you need to re-think it. Your extra curriculars that are not directly relevant to the subject should only be in a short para of about 100 words with a focus on relevant transferable skills gained. You could have an entire para about the CS aspects of 1 and another one about the CS aspects of 3 and 6.

Exactly this. Excellent post.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending