Turn on thread page Beta

Is patriotism another form of Racism??? watch

ReputationRep:
    Dear friends!
    i want your views about it. Is patriotism another form of racism. Corroborate your point of you with sound evidence. Racism has been in our world for centuries and so is patriotism. And, they have been defined by many great philosophers and historians again and agin in different contexts. There classification lead to realizing the fact that they have crept in everyday issues as well as at national level, or community level. I would've written alot and I will, but I'm quite in a hurry. I will participate for sure, until then, carry on!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samantha Osborne)
    Dear friends!
    i want your views about it. Is patriotism another form of racism. Corroborate your point of you with sound evidence. Racism has been in our world for centuries and so is patriotism. And, they have been defined by many great philosophers and historians again and agin in different contexts. There classification lead to realizing the fact that they have crept in everyday issues as well as at national level, or community level. I would've written alot and I will, but I'm quite in a hurry. I will participate for sure, until then, carry on!
    Loving one's country is not racist at all.
    I love my country but I have no problem with anyone of another race or nationality, and I have plenty of friends who feel the same way

ReputationRep:
    Dear friends!
    If racism is prejudice against a race, and patriotism is partiality to one's nation, then clearly patriotism is not by necessity a form of racism. Although one can have reasons for patriotism which are racist, one can also have reasons which are not. Partiality to one's nation is often justified on the basis of the value of shared culture, the psychological association between proximity and sentiment, and the right to democratic self-government. One might nevertheless argue that these defences are morally objectionable in a way that is analogous to racism. All three would be found deficient in this way by the lights of luck egalitarianism, namely, for allocating advantage and disadvantage according to factors outside of the reasonable control of the persons effected. The idea of a neat overlap between shared culture and nationhood might be thought wishful, forcing the need to distinguish the group to whom partiality is owed - and in fact, this might be suspect as the original motive - by some further unifying factor, such as ethnicity. The propensity to value those physically nearer to oneself might be thought as good a basis for normative belief as the similar propensity to impart especial value upon one's own ethnic group. Finally, the right to democratic self-government, from whose obligations might inhere 'republican patriotism', assumes the prior definition of a demos, which is exactly the question which stands to be answered.

What complicates matters is that (a) racists often muddy the water by using non-racist arguments, frequently with the express purpose of furnishing their conclusions with legitimacy; (b) the basic idea of luck egalitarianism exhausts the views of many of those who believe patriotism and racism to be normatively equivalent, for both are based upon uncontrolled artefacts of birth.

ReputationRep:
    Both patriotism & racism are forms of egoism. They think their country or skin color is always superior to others'.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Dear friends!
    Only when its by white working class people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Betelgeuse-)
    Only when its by white working class people.
    White working class English people

Posted from the TSR app - no updates since 2013!

ReputationRep:
    Yes and putting the interests of your own family first is racist too. Only by abolishing the family can we pave the way for international communism.

ReputationRep:
    A better question would be why people falsely equivocate preference or love for one group of individuals with hatred or feelings of supremacy to another?

You can deny it all you want but simple trolley problems can highlight this; One track a European man, the other a African man, pick one, you will pick one because these things do hold value.

In a free society the market demand for WHO TO LIVE WITH would be just as large as WHERE TO LIVE and who they physically are (the one part of you that is not a social construct) is not magically exempt from value.

Does that mean you hate others? If so, why? If Tibetans dont value Han "enrichment" and Amerindian tribes are allowed to be left alone, and have the freedom of association, do they hate? why not Europeans also?

"Racism" as is so often being used has little meaning and i see no evidence why it would be mutually exclusive with Patriotism; for example your nation could be a Civic Republic, where distinction is Citizenship rather than any biological realities; eg; Rome.

ReputationRep:
    Only when you are white according to our PC world

ReputationRep:
    Dear friends!
    No. To assume a nationality is exclusive to a single race, is in fact, racist.

ReputationRep:
    No, not at all

ReputationRep:
    You can be patriotic without being racist, e.g. supporting your country/countries (dual nationality) in events and being proud of them when they achieve good things but at the same time being accepting and tolerant of people from other walks of life.

You can be racist without being patriotic, e.g. treating someone badly because of where they are from/their skin colour whilst hating where you are from.

The two sometimes go hand in hand but one does not imply the other, certainly.

ReputationRep:
    Nationality has nothing to do with race. So someone can be patriotic to their country and still be a normal person.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.