Turn on thread page Beta

IBS, Coeliac disease and not correct information from doctor rant! watch

Ok I am really annoyed, I have had IBS symptoms for about four years and I have not been able to work out many food triggers. I feel ill every day. My doctor put me on a gluten free diet in case I was sensitive to gluten but not intolerant. Then I found out that they hadn't done the blood test for coeliac disease. The doctor printed me off the blood test form for it but did not say anything about going back on a gluten diet beforehand. I have only recently done it because I just had not got round to it. The blood test was awful, worse than usual and now I've found out that the coeliac website says that the general guideline is to have gluten for six weeks before the blood test! I've been back on a normal diet for about 4 weeks and I was on the gluten free diet for about six weeks before that. So now I am angry as the doctor did not say and I had a terrible experience and now want to avoid blood tests and even if the test comes back negative, how can I trust it? This does not help my anxiety and stress!

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Ok I am really annoyed, I have had IBS symptoms for about four years and I have not been able to work out many food triggers. I feel ill every day. My doctor put me on a gluten free diet in case I was sensitive to gluten but not intolerant. Then I found out that they hadn't done the blood test for coeliac disease. The doctor printed me off the blood test form for it but did not say anything about going back on a gluten diet beforehand. I have only recently done it because I just had not got round to it. The blood test was awful, worse than usual and now I've found out that the coeliac website says that the general guideline is to have gluten for six weeks before the blood test! I've been back on a normal diet for about 4 weeks and I was on the gluten free diet for about six weeks before that. So now I am angry as the doctor did not say and I had a terrible experience and now want to avoid blood tests and even if the test comes back negative, how can I trust it? This does not help my anxiety and stress!
    Actually I might have been on a normal diet for about 5 weeks.

Question is though

Are your symptoms gone with a gluten free diet?

If that is the case I wouldn't put myself under more stress as the past can't be changed.

ReputationRep:
    If a gluten free diet didn't eliminate your symptoms and you need more help ask for a referral to a dietician. They will be able to talk to you about treating ibs, and may be able to help you go onto the low fodmap diet, which loads of people with ibs have success with.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Alot of doctors don't seem very clued up on celiac. But yea there is the potential for a false negative now unfortunatly.

IMO eat a decent amount of gluten for a day or two and see if there is a verifiable difference in how you feel. I managed to diagnose myself before the GP after ruling out Lactose intolerance and wondering why I could eat a super hot curry with no problems but felt terrible after a sandwich (or whatever bland gluten filled food i tried to reduce the symptons !).

Question is though

Are your symptoms gone with a gluten free diet?

If that is the case I wouldn't put myself under more stress as the past can't be changed.
    I'm not really sure, in a way I felt better but sometimes I felt quite bad but I was still on medication at the time and I could have more than one intolerance or sensitivity.

(Original post by myblueheaven339)
    If a gluten free diet didn't eliminate your symptoms and you need more help ask for a referral to a dietician. They will be able to talk to you about treating ibs, and may be able to help you go onto the low fodmap diet, which loads of people with ibs have success with.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you, my doctor recommended trying to eliminate certain food groups from my diet at a time as that is apparently what a dietician suggest but we haven't got very far yet!

(Original post by INTit)
    Alot of doctors don't seem very clued up on celiac. But yea there is the potential for a false negative now unfortunatly.

IMO eat a decent amount of gluten for a day or two and see if there is a verifiable difference in how you feel. I managed to diagnose myself before the GP after ruling out Lactose intolerance and wondering why I could eat a super hot curry with no problems but felt terrible after a sandwich (or whatever bland gluten filled food i tried to reduce the symptons !).
    Well it was five weeks and they are taking a long time to provide a result so hopefully that means that they will get an accurate answer. I didn't feel ill for a while after going back on a normal diet but yeah I'm not completely sure. I'm glad that you worked out what your trigger was, I am trying to find patterns!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 16, 2015
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.