Turn on thread page Beta

How to write a motivational letter for Leiden University in the Netherlansd watch

ReputationRep:
    I am going to apply to go to Leiden University next year to study Dutch Studies.

I am unsure of what to write in my motivational letter to apply for this course.

I also have more questions about applying to the Netherlands Universities as an English A level student.

My questions:
    - what do you write on your motivational letter?
    - what are the main differences between motivational letters and personal statements in the UK?
    - when do you start your application?
    - when did you get you BSN number?
    - where to go for student financing?
    - is the entire transition to the Netherlands difficult?

Any response is very much appreciated!
    Thanks
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses.

I'm going to quote in Tank Girl now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :yy:

Spoiler:
    Show
    (Original post by Tank Girl)
    x
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    I'm afraid the PS advisors on TSR aren't familiar with the systems for applying outside of the UK... There is this forum about studying in the Netherlands where you might get more help: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=800

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AliceGains)
    I am going to apply to go to Leiden University next year to study Dutch Studies.

I am unsure of what to write in my motivational letter to apply for this course.

I also have more questions about applying to the Netherlands Universities as an English A level student.

My questions:
    - what are the main differences between motivational letters and personal statements in the UK?

Thanks
    Hi, I'm Dutch so I'll try and help. First of all, Leiden university is a great choice as it's considered one of the best 3 universities in the Netherlands. Second, in your letter you should try and explain what attracts you about your course, what you like about the Dutch language, what sparked your interest in wanting to study it at uni. I think motivational letters tend to be more personal. Also try and explain why you decided to study Dutch in NL instead of in the UK, what attracts you of the country etc. What do you wish to accompish with this degree ( future job etc.). Applications usually are sent in Feb-March, but check the specific dates with Leiden. You get your BSN number when you reach the Netherlands as you have to formally register as a citizen of the country, and then they'll give you this number with which you can then open bank accounts, get medical insurance, etc. DUO is the student financing company in NL. Students apply through Studielink to study at university in NL, it's like the UCAS system in the UK. Here's the link to studielink: https://app.studielink.nl/front-office/

I don't think the transition to NL is hard, since you're from the UK then it'll be quite similar I think. Dutch people tend to be a bit serious sometimes but I'm sure you'll enjoy student life there, especially in Leiden. If you have any questions I'll be happy to try and help you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AliceGains)

My questions:

Thanks
    Hi Alice, I am a current Leiden University student, and I am happy to answer any of your questions. The other posters have covered it well, but if you need any more info you can message me!

Toby

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 16, 2015

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.