Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm struggling to decide between the two, Surrey is ranked higher on the university league tables but I don't know how much weight that actually carries.

ReputationRep:
    Have you visited both of them?
    They are both good universities but it varies on the course you are taking. Look at the course modules, see which one you prefer. Also would you prefer a campus base setting or a city university?
    Look at accommodation.
    Take a trip to the open day and talk to current students on pro's and con's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d9717)
    Have you visited both of them?
    They are both good universities but it varies on the course you are taking. Look at the course modules, see which one you prefer. Also would you prefer a campus base setting or a city university?
    Look at accommodation.
    Take a trip to the open day and talk to current students on pro's and con's.
    I'm doing a Physics degree, I'm not too bothered about the campus or city aspect just wondering about how good the degree will look from each institution

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mike11107)
    I'm doing a Physics degree, I'm not too bothered about the campus or city aspect just wondering about how good the degree will look from each institution
    If you think you will want to work in physics - go with Surrey. But if you think you may go into an area outside physics, go to Kings. It has an international reputation/prestige. When your CV is on that City recruiters desk, they will have no idea how high either uni is in the league tables for physics - but they will rate Kings higher than Surrey, even though its strengths are in completely different areas eg law, medicine etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by georgeous31)
    If you think you will want to work in physics - go with Surrey. But if you think you may go into an area outside physics, go to Kings. It has an international reputation/prestige. When your CV is on that City recruiters desk, they will have no idea how high either uni is in the league tables for physics - but they will rate Kings higher than Surrey, even though its strengths are in completely different areas eg law, medicine etc.
    Thanks, some pretty solid advice. But if I get a first from Surrey will that negate the difference between the two unis?

ReputationRep:
    I had the same problem, in the end i chose surrey over kings for physics.

ReputationRep:
    I very much doubt that Surrey is better than kings for physics. Domestic league tables are essentially worthless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ls2396)
    I had the same problem, in the end i chose surrey over kings for physics.
    What did you base your decision on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mike11107)
    What did you base your decision on?
    Well i liked surrey as a whole better than kings. the option of a year at work or abroad at another uni and the job prospects were better. After the applicant days i felt like id be more comfortable and they were more personal at surrey. Im due to start there in a few weeks

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.