Does sex sell? watch

• View Poll Results: Does Sex Sell?
    Yes
    80.00%
    No
    20.00%

ReputationRep:
    Hello lovely people

Just a quick question in relation to my dissertation topic.. 'Does sex sell?'
    The main focus is to do with The Female Gaze- men's perceptions of women as well as women's perceptions of other women and themselves..

So even now in 2015, is sex selling? As a consumer do you buy into it??

Any answers/opinions would be much appreciated
    xox

ReputationRep:
    Sadly it does more than it has ever been before. Every middle-aged person would love to be back in a decade where one doesn't have to strip to sell music

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bronemillie)
    Hello lovely people

Just a quick question in relation to my dissertation topic.. 'Does sex sell?'
    The main focus is to do with The Female Gaze- men's perceptions of women as well as women's perceptions of other women and themselves..

So even now in 2015, is sex selling? As a consumer do you buy into it??

Any answers/opinions would be much appreciated
    xox
    Strong avatar to post content ratio.

ReputationRep:
    Sex itself doesn't sell, the product it is selling still needs to be laid out clearly and in a well defined way.
    I defer to the fantastic Rick and Morty:

ReputationRep:
    For me, I focus on the product rather than the advert (assuming that the advert is in some way sexy). Sex sells for some. Sometimes its just plain embarrassing and pathetic.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your comments

ReputationRep:
    It definitely does, just look at the most recent superbowl advert. A naked chick being used to sell a burger.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Often (or at least imo), sexy = empowered; sort of claiming yourself. When I feel sexy, I feel confident - ready to take on the world. When adverts/products relate to that desire for confidence, of course they sell. This can be done well (e.g. Sure deodorant adverts), or done crudely (anything with Nichole Scherzinger in it).

Alternatively, it's done to draw attention to a product - a woman orgasming over a shampoo will ensure the consumer remembers and immediately recognises the product in the shopping aisle.

ReputationRep:
    i am going to use a quote from a book that was sort of a factual novel in the high end jewels trade in the 1980's called 'how to sell' by clancy martin
    'popper could hire anyone to work the floor sales but he only hire the prettiest and most attractive ones after all they cost the same don't they'

ReputationRep:
    Yes it does. Pretty much everything nowadays has a sexual tone.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.