Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My friend is currently in a warzone. He wants to settle down in the UK. He's currently on a course at a university where he is for civil engineering.

He's in his fourth year, but would be happy just to be here.

What information would he need?

What expenses would he need to come here?

Could he apply for citizenship and what would effect his chances?

Essentially I'm looking for any information to help him come here.

This thread is not for politics. The premise of this issue is not up for debate on issues such as "British university places for British people." etc.

If however, the universities would never say yes that's a different matter.

Edit: Would he even count as a refugee if he was studying here?

ReputationRep:
    The Refugee Council have useful information about uni fees and funding:
    http://www.refugeecouncil.org.uk/ass...nd_funding.pdf

It's difficult to generalise, as each person will be considered on their individual background and status once in the UK.

However, if your friend completes his qualification where he is, he will not get Student Finance in the UK under any circumstances. Generally in the UK, nobody can get funding for a qualification which is the same or lower than one they already have.

At present, there is no funding for the higher Masters qualifications. If he is a suitable candidate in a science-based field, he may be able to apply for a funded PhD after an undergraduate degree. However these are rare and are hugely competitive. I have a friend who has been applying for them since 2012 and still hasn't been able to win one.

Eligibility for Student Finance and Home/UK fee status is based on residency in the UK and not citizenship. Becoming a citizen would not improve the situation. You can be considered both a refugee and full-time student.

ReputationRep:
    It`s kind of difficult but I would like to say that refugees are entitled to everything the same as British citizens apart from voting .
    If granted a refugee status , your friend will become eligible for student finance after spending 3 years in the UK .
    Regarding being recognized as a refugee , it is really hard to say as it is for the home office/courts to decide whether your friend can be recognised as a refugee .
    If he is fleeing from a warzone , it is less likely that he will be granted a refugee status but instead will be given a humanitarian protection if he qualifies for it .
    "A refugee is a person who is owing to a well-founded fear of being persecuted for reasons of race, religion, nationality, membership of a particular social group or political opinion, is outside the country of his nationality and is unable or, owing to such fear, is unwilling to avail himself of the protection of that country; or who, not having a nationality and being outside the country of his former habitual residence as a result of such events, is unable or, owing to such fear, is unwilling to return to it.."
    Your friend should also think about claiming asylum on day 1 of his arrival to the first safe country .

ReputationRep:
    Does having a return ticket preclude him from applying? The only way to get a visa here os to show intent to return

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    Does having a return ticket preclude him from applying? The only way to get a visa here os to show intent to return
    He may struggle to claim refugee status with a valid visa and a return ticket, but it won't preclude him from trying. He needs to very carefully review the requirements for claiming refugee status, to make sure that he actually has a valid claim before he leaves his current country.

ReputationRep:
    How can he get on a plane without a valid visa though?
    (Original post by Klix88)
    He may struggle to claim refugee status with a valid visa and a return ticket, but it won't preclude him from trying. He needs to very carefully review the requirements for claiming refugee status, to make sure that he actually has a valid claim before he leaves his current country.

ReputationRep:
    Your friend should claim asylum on his arrival and he should be honest about what sort of issues he has back home and why he can`t go back .
    If he comes here with a visa , he will have to make a claim as soon as he lands in the airport , he will be then fingerprinted and interviewed , they will also take his details and passport and see if they can accept his claim or deport him .
    If they accept to do so , your friend will have a long interview , where an immigration case worker will ask so many questions , take notes of what happened to him back home and why he can`t go back and make a decision on whether he should be recognised as a refugee.
    If he is a genuine asylum seeker , he will then be granted a temporary leave to remain for either 5 years (refugee or humanitarian protection ) or 3 years as discretionary leave to remain , if he gets refused he may have a chance of appealing against the decision and taking the case further to court .
    A judge will then make a decision whether you friend is a genuine asylum seeker and whether he deserves protection , if Not your friend will be arrested and deported to the country he came from .
    Claiming asylum is not as easy as you think and not anybody could get it , your friend should owe such a fear to return back home because he can be persecuted or killed , your friends` reasons for coming to the UK tell me that he is an economic migrant and therefore it will be really hard for him to convince the HO to grant him asylum .
    If he wants to come here to study , he can always apply for a student visa and come to study and live here legally otherwise he can find a safe country close to where he lives to claim his asylum unless there is a reason on why he can`t do so .
    Good luck .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oceanrouge)
    Your friend should claim asylum on his arrival and he should be honest about what sort of issues he has back home and why he can`t go back .
    If he comes here with a visa , he will have to make a claim as soon as he lands in the airport , he will be then fingerprinted and interviewed , they will also take his details and passport and see if they can accept his claim or deport him .
    If they accept to do so , your friend will have a long interview , where an immigration case worker will ask so many questions , take notes of what happened to him back home and why he can`t go back and make a decision on whether he should be recognised as a refugee.
    If he is a genuine asylum seeker , he will then be granted a temporary leave to remain for either 5 years (refugee or humanitarian protection ) or 3 years as discretionary leave to remain , if he gets refused he may have a chance of appealing against the decision and taking the case further to court .
    A judge will then make a decision whether you friend is a genuine asylum seeker and whether he deserves protection , if Not your friend will be arrested and deported to the country he came from .
    Claiming asylum is not as easy as you think and not anybody could get it , your friend should owe such a fear to return back home because he can be persecuted or killed , your friends` reasons for coming to the UK tell me that he is an economic migrant and therefore it will be really hard for him to convince the HO to grant him asylum .
    If he wants to come here to study , he can always apply for a student visa and come to study and live here legally otherwise he can find a safe country close to where he lives to claim his asylum unless there is a reason on why he can`t do so .
    Good luck .
    He is not an economic migrant (nor would he be). The reason I made this thread in this way is because of the way the gov.uk page has made it seem. Which is when clicking on options basically telling me he would need a student visa. This is something I now know to be incorrect.

To have a student visa you would need to have the first years fees up front.

The exchange rate of british pounds to syrian pounds is approx 1=292.

It is a very complicated process, and I appreciate a lot of your post, but please do not make assumptions about him like that. He is in a situation where explosions are going off near him on a daily basis. It isn't just hurtful, it's downright offensive.

ReputationRep:
    We all know that Syrians are in a civil war , I didn`t say anything wrong , I tried to explain to you briefly the asylum process .
    All I said is that a refugee is someone who is owing a strong fear to return home because they may be persecuted or killed , your friend is taking time to study and making decisions on where to go and this is why I said that , I didn`t know which country he comes from .
    According to the Dublin regulation , the asylum seeker should claim asylum on the first safe country they arrive to, if it is the UK he should claim it in the UK . If he is not feeling safe where he lives he can always go to the nearest safe country that he can get to and claim it there instead of thinking about coming to the UK only . If I had a strong fear of dying in my country I would leave everything behind and leave to the nearest safe country and claim asylum there .
    If I were in the same situation , I would consider my safety to be my top priority , so I will just leave and go to the nearest safe country .

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately it looks increasingly impossible for him to come here.

Thanks for all of the information and advice.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.