Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I've got my first EPQ lesson tomorrow and I'd like to do something related to creative/practical media. I'm not really sure what I could do though,s seeing as I don't do media as a subject, so I was hoping for some suggestions/help from you guys!
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I didn't do an EPQ personally, although the A2 WJEC coursework probably came close. You have to think how you want to carry it out - do you want to complete it entirely in essay, or partial essay and then follow up with a film? If the latter, you'll then probably want to consider what is actually possible for you to carry out - I couldn't do any audiovisual work with more than about two people, purely because I didn't know enough people who were willing to do it.

I believe the EPQ is mostly based on debate? In which case, you'll definitely want to choose something that has a lot of academic work published on it already. For my coursework, I decided to write about females in comics, but some points I wanted to make had to be dropped as there was just no content on characters in the comics I was using.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loperdoper)
    I didn't do an EPQ personally, although the A2 WJEC coursework probably came close. You have to think how you want to carry it out - do you want to complete it entirely in essay, or partial essay and then follow up with a film? If the latter, you'll then probably want to consider what is actually possible for you to carry out - I couldn't do any audiovisual work with more than about two people, purely because I didn't know enough people who were willing to do it.

I believe the EPQ is mostly based on debate? In which case, you'll definitely want to choose something that has a lot of academic work published on it already. For my coursework, I decided to write about females in comics, but some points I wanted to make had to be dropped as there was just no content on characters in the comics I was using.
    Thanks for the reply.
    I was thinking of having a film to accompany my essay. I was considering a documentary style short film as I'd have to do research as well, but I'm not sure how I could do that without making the EPQ about the topic rather than the fact I want to make a kind of film for it.

I did consider studying the development of special effects (mainly so I can mention the melting heads from Indiana Jones), could this be a suitable topic?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmyTheTimelord)
    Thanks for the reply.
    I was thinking of having a film to accompany my essay. I was considering a documentary style short film as I'd have to do research as well, but I'm not sure how I could do that without making the EPQ about the topic rather than the fact I want to make a kind of film for it.

I did consider studying the development of special effects (mainly so I can mention the melting heads from Indiana Jones), could this be a suitable topic?
    Potentially, it's definitely a starting point. You could possibly even make it about Indiana Jones - comparing the level of special effects within it to other films in that time period, and then make a film that uses special effects made in a similar (albeit with a lower budget) way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loperdoper)
    Potentially, it's definitely a starting point. You could possibly even make it about Indiana Jones - comparing the level of special effects within it to other films in that time period, and then make a film that uses special effects made in a similar (albeit with a lower budget) way.
    I actually really like that idea, I'll have a think about that! Thank-you

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 10, 2015
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.