The Student Room Group
Students relaxing outside, University of Chester
University of Chester
Chester
Visit website

I'm 23 and I haven't got a clue what to do with my life

I'm looking at open uni but its all very overwhelming I'm reluctant to start a course I potentially wont enjoy or use in the future, I don't want to waste my time, but I'm wasting time trying to figure out what to do, because I'm doing nothing.
For a long time I wanted to teach scuba diving, but when I got around to it, I was told I couldn't because of my severe asthma.
I've worked a wide range of jobs, Receptionist, Bar Staff, Retail Assistant, Waitress, Dinner Lady, Nursery Assistant and Apprentice Hairdresser, I didn't enjoy any of them though.
I enjoy, writing but I'm not good enough to pursue that, The highest mark I received for GCSE's was an E.
I'm just not sure about the next step to take, Thanks for reading, all suggestions/reply's are much appreciated.
Original post by RosieB23
I'm looking at open uni but its all very overwhelming I'm reluctant to start a course I potentially wont enjoy or use in the future, I don't want to waste my time, but I'm wasting time trying to figure out what to do, because I'm doing nothing.
For a long time I wanted to teach scuba diving, but when I got around to it, I was told I couldn't because of my severe asthma.
I've worked a wide range of jobs, Receptionist, Bar Staff, Retail Assistant, Waitress, Dinner Lady, Nursery Assistant and Apprentice Hairdresser, I didn't enjoy any of them though.
I enjoy, writing but I'm not good enough to pursue that, The highest mark I received for GCSE's was an E.
I'm just not sure about the next step to take, Thanks for reading, all suggestions/reply's are much appreciated.

First thing: what do you enjoy?

You're actually in a really good position right now because you've worked and experienced life and figured out what you don't like before committing to a career. Most people do it the other way round and commit to a career before ever experiencing the working world. It's much more sensible the way you've done it, so don't worry. Now you need to think about what you like. Write a list and then pick a couple of things and link them to possible careers and then approach companies for work experience to see if you enjoy the work. If you do then you can think about training in that type of role and looking into relevant courses and making applications.

That's what I've done anyway and I'm 25 and about to start a 2nd degree next year aged 26! I picked the wrong degree aged 18 and ended up working in a bunch of similar jobs to you and hated them all. It's much better to be in your position and having the experience to make the correct decision after a bit of life experience. So have a really good think about what you enjoy and then get some work experience before you start applying for courses.
Students relaxing outside, University of Chester
University of Chester
Chester
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending