Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I am a gap year student who is applying to the Mathematics with Economics programme starting 2016.I achieved the following A-level grades:
    • Mathematics: A*
    • Further Mathematics: A*
    • Economics: A*
    • Chemistry: A
    • Extended project: A*
    I have AAAA at AS-level, and 8A* grades at GCSE. I wanted to know whether I would be at a disadvantage by applying as a gap year student. I never resat any exam and have achieved all these grades in the first sitting (as will be indicated on my UCAS application).

Would I make a competitive application?

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Being a gap year student is a disadvantage for Maths but with your grades you will definitely be considered. LSE do not interview all students but they may well interview you to check where your maths is. Definitely worth applying your application will be competitive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamiep151)
    Being a gap year student is a disadvantage for Maths but with your grades you will definitely be considered. LSE do not interview all students but they may well interview you to check where your maths is. Definitely worth applying your application will be competitive.
    thank you for your response. On my PS I have indicated that I am going through undergrad maths books and resources during my gap year to maintain my Maths abilities, and am also doing related work experience. And thanks I hope my they also think my application is competitive,

ReputationRep:
    Any others also applying/applied to Maths+Econ at LSE?

ReputationRep:
    I was admitted with similar grades and after taking time out so you should be fine as long as your reference/PS is good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foxab77)
    Any others also applying/applied to Maths+Econ at LSE?
    I will be applying in the next few weeks for Maths with Economics at the LSE
    AP

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 32415)
    I was admitted with similar grades and after taking time out so you should be fine as long as your reference/PS is good.
    hey that's great. May I ask what you did during your year out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coolguy123456)
    I will be applying in the next few weeks for Maths with Economics at the LSE
    AP
    Awesome. Hope to see you there in Sept 2016

ReputationRep:
    hey that's great. May I ask what you did during your year out?
    Well technically I was switching university. I applied again while still at uni and left soon after I got all of my offers. After leaving I just worked and travelled a little.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 32415)
    Well technically I was switching university. I applied again while still at uni and left soon after I got all of my offers. After leaving I just worked and travelled a little.
    That is such a great idea. When did you get the (unconditional) offer btw? I'm asking because I've had this idea in my mind, I may be enrolling onto a university maths course and plan to switch to LSE (if I get in). Also, did you decare on your UCAS that you were at a different uni at the time?

ReputationRep:
    That is such a great idea. When did you get the (unconditional) offer btw? I'm asking because I've had this idea in my mind, I may be enrolling onto KCL's maths course and plan to switch to LSE (if I get in). Also, did you decare on your UCAS that you were at a different uni at the time?
    It was unconditional and received in January if I recall correctly. Oh, so you have currently firmed Kings? A King's student switching to LSE would be quite funny given their rivalry :P I had a short paragraph explaining why I wanted to swap.

ReputationRep:
    Are people fir this course applying after or before the Oxbridge deadline?

ReputationRep:
    Im aiming to have my application sent off by my school in time for the Oxbridge deadline. Are you applying to any other uni's and courses?

AP

ReputationRep:
    Im aiming to have my application sent off by my school in time for the Oxbridge deadline. Are you applying to any other uni's and courses?

AP
    Ah cool cool. Yes I will be

ReputationRep:
    Ah cool cool. Yes I will be
    May I ask which ones?

AP

ReputationRep:
    May I ask which ones?

AP
    LSE, Imperial, warwick and UCL are the main ones. And you?

ReputationRep:
    LSE, Imperial, warwick and UCL are the main ones. And you?
    I have similar choices: UCL, Wariwck, LSE, Bath and Edinburgh. Are you applying for the MORSE at warwick or a different degree?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 13, 2015
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.