The Student Room Group

Small men - how much are you discriminated against?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cacra
I went through primary school being called lanky, now it's time for some revenge!! :devil3::devil3::devil3:

:colonhash: I'm almost 5'10" Almost ALMOST and I'm 16 so....
Reply 81
Original post by zippity.doodah
5'6 here
I think people judge me initially not based on my height itself, but based on the reputation that the height has in our society - in media/popular culture. negativity is attached to short men. short men are seen to be villains in a lot of movies. short men are seen to be insecure. short men are seen to have a chip on their shoulder, even when they don't. therefore, I feel sometimes as if it's my job to prove that stereotype wrong, but at the same time, it's paradoxical because I'm securely insecure about not being insecure - which will cause some to maybe think I have the mythological "short man syndrome". short man syndrome is the same as "big nose syndrome", or "narrow eye syndrome", whereby people have to improve themselves based on their noses/eyes - I see no reason at all why height has to be unique in that department. I think short men probably get discriminated against more than women, racial minorities, religious minorities etc based on their popular portrayals of these people who are aggressive and snippy (e.g. think joe peshi) - it's probably going to be the last form of acceptable/socially tolerated discriminated - after all, if a woman spoke publicly against short men, nobody would care, compared to a man talking down about fat women.

but in terms of my height regardless of this, I think people mostly see me as more childish or immature based on it, when I am, at least to strangers and people who I don't know extremely well, very mature in my outward mannerisms. women who are taller than me might automatically see me as ugly, no matter how attractive I might be in every other department (although fortunately that's not always been the case, not always, but not never). other men might see me as more of a unique specimen because usually, where I live, men are tall, so it might make them think about height and how strange it is to see somebody who is outside the norm

Summarise this in a sentence please
I'm 5' 6" and am shorter than all but one of my close female friends and all the male ones. Frankly I haven't heard anybody even bring up my height IRL since I was in school. I think the manlet/Short Man Syndrome crap is one of those things people only ever hear about on the internet.
Reply 83
Discriminating against small men? Ridiculous!

I am completely height-blind when it comes to people, and I'll tell you right now that I have never, ever, seen a small man. Ever.

Quick Reply

Latest