Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I'm trying to apply to unis for medicine but I'm very concerned about my chances, here is a summary of my achievements:-

GCSE's= A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*AB [8 A*'s, an A in english language (exam board messed up everyone's chances) and a B in German]

AS Results=
    Biology- A (Very high A, almost full UMS)
    Maths- A (core 1 A, core 2 A, stats C, retaking stats) also done mechanics and got a B
    Chemistry- B (reasonably strong B, quite close to getting an A)
    physics- C (We won't talk about this, I'm dropping it anyway.)

A2 predicted-
    chemistry A
    Biology A* (most likely)
    maths A

So essentially I'll be applying with AAB, and A*AA prediction.

Work experience and volunteering- 3 days in the MMU Unit of an ambulance service, over a year at a care home, and a residential week with a group that provided respite holidays for disabled people.

Although I think I linked these back to medicine well in my PS, I have no actual work experience in a hospital.

personal statement- I think It went really well, took me alot of drafts and have been told it's better than one of my friends who's going to cambridge, and a medical student said it was impressive (not trying to show off just give an accurate representation) [can possibly show you the statement]

UKCAT- very worried about QR and AR, mildly confident with other categories, on the 29th so I have a while to revise it (about 19 more days) but also have schoolwork to do.

Interviews- I like to think i'm sociable and confident and would perform well in an interview.

So, what do you guys think my chances are? I'm hoping to apply to Nottingham, and then unis like bristol and birmingham that dont consider UKCAT alot and consider GCSE's alot.

ReputationRep:
    It would be difficult. If you apply to a fewer of the lower down ones (I remember sheffield has entry requirements of AABB, don't know if you could get leeway there?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Docjones1)
    It would be difficult. If you apply to a fewer of the lower down ones (I remember sheffield has entry requirements of AABB, don't know if you could get leeway there?)
    I think I will, I'm really devoted to doing medicine and it sucks that a B in chemistry and no hospitals being willing to take me in might impact my chances, I honestly don't know what to do if I can't do medicine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buckeybarnes)
    I think I will, I'm really devoted to doing medicine and it sucks that a B in chemistry and no hospitals being willing to take me in might impact my chances, I honestly don't know what to do if I can't do medicine.
    Oh I didn't see that B to be honest. That will make it harder and you'd have to get it up to an A to be able to have a good chance in at any UK ones I think. If you're that dedicated and don't get an offer you could always go for graduate entry, or go to an international university with lower entry requirements.

ReputationRep:
    Oh I didn't see that B to be honest. That will make it harder and you'd have to get it up to an A to be able to have a good chance in at any UK ones I think. If you're that dedicated and don't get an offer you could always go for graduate entry, or go to an international university with lower entry requirements.
    my AS grades that I will be using to apply are AAB, but I'm predicted A*AA and can see myself getting A*AA

ReputationRep:
    my AS grades that I will be using to apply are AAB, but I'm predicted A*AA and can see myself getting A*AA
    You know you're supposed to put the C on. Make sure it's ok with your school that you're not putting the C on and it's not certificated.

ReputationRep:
    I guess I will have to, I'm so worried ((
    You know you're supposed to put the C on. Make sure it's ok with your school that you're not putting the C on and it's not certificated.

ReputationRep:
    I guess I will have to, I'm so worried ((
    If you really are dedicated as I said there might be some in Europe you could go to if you got rejected over and over who might accept you, of course that means eventually learning a new language....

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I'm trying to apply to unis for medicine but I'm very concerned about my chances, here is a summary of my achievements:-

GCSE's= A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*AB [8 A*'s, an A in english language (exam board messed up everyone's chances) and a B in German]

AS Results=
    Biology- A (Very high A, almost full UMS)
    Maths- A (core 1 A, core 2 A, stats C, retaking stats) also done mechanics and got a B
    Chemistry- B (reasonably strong B, quite close to getting an A)
    physics- C (We won't talk about this, I'm dropping it anyway.)

A2 predicted-
    chemistry A
    Biology A* (most likely)
    maths A

So essentially I'll be applying with AAB, and A*AA prediction.

Work experience and volunteering- 3 days in the MMU Unit of an ambulance service, over a year at a care home, and a residential week with a group that provided respite holidays for disabled people.

Although I think I linked these back to medicine well in my PS, I have no actual work experience in a hospital.

personal statement- I think It went really well, took me alot of drafts and have been told it's better than one of my friends who's going to cambridge, and a medical student said it was impressive (not trying to show off just give an accurate representation) [can possibly show you the statement]

UKCAT- very worried about QR and AR, mildly confident with other categories, on the 29th so I have a while to revise it (about 19 more days) but also have schoolwork to do.

Interviews- I like to think i'm sociable and confident and would perform well in an interview.

So, what do you guys think my chances are? I'm hoping to apply to Nottingham, and then unis like bristol and birmingham that dont consider UKCAT alot and consider GCSE's alot.
    I think you have a good chance of getting in from what I can see and about the work experience it's not how much you do it's what you've learnt. You could be someone whose done work experience for 3 years in a hospital and if you can't say what you've learnt then you don't have much chance compared to someone who has done a measly 3 day experience but if they have learnt more then they will look more desirable as an applicant. Through you're work experience you have to say what you've learnt. If you want me to read you're PS you can PM me I have time and I could give the criticism you need.

And just try for the UKCAT and I'm sure you'll do well from what I can see I think you'll do well.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the follow buckeybarnes

I'd love to read your p.s I don't think I've ever read a p.s that actually seriously blown me away and since better than you're friend whose going to cambridge--could I read it? I could give you feedback--> it seems like that's all I've been doing nowadays

ReputationRep:
    I've sent it to you, though I'm not sure if she was just being nice by saying that!
    (Original post by hideNfreak)
    Thanks for the follow buckeybarnes

I'd love to read your p.s I don't think I've ever read a p.s that actually seriously blown me away and since better than you're friend whose going to cambridge--could I read it? I could give you feedback--> it seems like that's all I've been doing nowadays

ReputationRep:
    I've sent it to you, though I'm not sure if she was just being nice by saying that!
    I've sent you a reply-- with the feedback too!

ReputationRep:
    buckeybarnes I'm currently also planning on applying for medicine in the future years. I've spoken to my carrers advisor and he said that hospital experience is not vital but it's important to do a lot of volunteering and from what I read you've got plenty of experience!

I'd love to read your PS if you could send it to me!

ReputationRep:
    buckeybarnes Do not send your PS to anyone! You have no control over who might use bits of it and if they do, it will be flagged up as plagiarism by Ucas and you will not be able to prove it was yours to begin with. Repeat, DO NOT DO THIS.

ReputationRep:
    I just realised this is a bad idea. I deleted the one message I sent as soon as I read this comment.
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    buckeybarnes Do not send your PS to anyone! You have no control over who might use bits of it and if they do, it will be flagged up as plagiarism by Ucas and you will not be able to prove it was yours to begin with. Repeat, DO NOT DO THIS.

ReputationRep:
    I will not be sending out my personal statement, sorry.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 10, 2015
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.