Turn on thread page Beta

Why do my shins and calf's hurt when I run? watch

ReputationRep:
    I have recently taken up running again and the past few days that I have been my shins and calf's have been in excruciating pain almost to the point where I am unable to walk.....please can someone tell me why this is happening and what can I do to stop it...thank you

ReputationRep:
    Might be worth a look...

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/shin-sp...roduction.aspx

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like shin splints tbh mate, that's where very minute fractures of the bone running through that part of the leg occurs and when the bone has taken a lot of shock, best way to cure it is to let it rest short term then do leg, specifically calf, workouts to boost the muscle, this enables the muscle to hold the tension better and keep the joint in a healthier position (I think anyway!)
    Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JBlad)
    Sounds like shin splints tbh mate, that's where very minute fractures of the bone running through that part of the leg occurs and when the bone has taken a lot of shock, best way to cure it is to let it rest short term then do leg, specifically calf, workouts to boost the muscle, this enables the muscle to hold the tension better and keep the joint in a healthier position (I think anyway!)
    Good luck
    Thank you, I did think it could be shin splints but I wasn't too sure. But, thank you for your help

ReputationRep:
    you might want to look at your shoes
    i also heard swimming is great for calf pain and injuries

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yelllowribbon)
    Might be worth a look...

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/shin-sp...roduction.aspx

Thank you, that helped me a lot

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps it's a lactic acid build up, if it is the case the fitter you get the more it will go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itsemilyyeahh)
    I have recently taken up running again and the past few days that I have been my shins and calf's have been in excruciating pain almost to the point where I am unable to walk.....please can someone tell me why this is happening and what can I do to stop it...thank you
    Or perhaps you just need to warm up before and add more salt or quinine to your diet, as they hydrate you? This has happened to me and it's when I'm dehydrated or slept my ass off and didn't warm up or drain lactic acids in my legs. It's inconsistent. Some days it's fine, and others it just happens. And when I stay hydrated or active, it's fine. But if you have any of those things in the link like the flat foot or are overweight or aren't fit and spry and strain yourself, that too First you have to find out why it happens so you don't treat yourself improperly like stretching can make it worse if that's not what your issue is.

ReputationRep:
    if you've only just started your shins might adjust again, when I've had some time off I find my shins are sore, a while back I was in physiotherapy and the physio said it was fairly normal while your shins are adjusting to the impact - although obviously if it is very painful you should make sure you're building up slowly and giving yourself time to heal

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AMG44)
    Perhaps it's a lactic acid build up, if it is the case the fitter you get the more it will go.
    Yes! Just said that
    And the OP can then

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    i got shin splints a few months ago from running on ahrd ground, it might be that, it felt like the front of my leg bone was bruised and really hurt when i walked on it.

i rested it for about 2 weeks and it has gone now

hope this helps

I have experienced the same thing.

Just rest for a while.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoolCavy)
    i got shin splints a few months ago from running on ahrd ground, it might be that, it felt like the front of my leg bone was bruised and really hurt when i walked on it.

i rested it for about 2 weeks and it has gone now

hope this helps
    I've always been told to rest it but what if I have to leave the house, as I do? I'd just have to suffer the pain and walk I hate when that happens and no one understands it.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Cherie Amour)
    I've always been told to rest it but what if I have to leave the house, as I do? I'd just have to suffer the pain and walk I hate when that happens and no one understands it.
    yeah luckly i got them just b4 the summer holidays, as otherwise i wud have had to walk 2 miles a day to and from school

i understand ur pain :console:

ReputationRep:
    What type of shoes do you use to run?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoolCavy)
    yeah luckly i got them just b4 the summer holidays, as otherwise i wud have had to walk 2 miles a day to and from school

i understand ur pain :console:
    Yes, I walk to my Uni campus because it's only a mile or so but it's unbearable if my shin locks
    And it was so bad apparently that a Jewish man stopped me and asked me (they never speak to me lo) if I'm okay; I guess I was wearing the pain on my face

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by undead345)
    What type of shoes do you use to run?
    I have a pair of running trainers that I brought online

ReputationRep:
    It is very common for a beginner to have pain in the lower leg, I to experienced this whilst training for a 10 k run. The pain is caused by lack of stamina as running more often will get rid of the pain. Hope I helped.

ReputationRep:
    i`ve experienced the same pain - yeaterday, i tried to run just a 5k, but was in absolute agony half way through, and could barely even walk home!

I`ve not been exercising too much, but i do exercise (weights) before hand, and maybe didn`t re-hydrate - but i did warm up for 10 or so before.

It`s never happened to me before, and perhaphs as a previous poster indicated - in my case - maybe the fact that i don`t take ENOUGH salt/sugar in my diet might have something to do with it? (i`ve almost completely cut out sugar - in fact i have) and hardly have salt on anything.

At first, i had returned to running after 2 weeks of inactivity, and was convinced it was my body`s kind of "severe" reaction to getting back into it - but my lower legs are almost in constant pain - not agony or anything, just like someone`s given my calf and shin a sort of "dead-leg" - even when i walk down the stairs!

Any help?

ReputationRep:
    I would look at your shoes as someone has already suggested. Go to a local running store and have them look at your foot to see what fits you best. I was having issues and finally went. That is when they informed me that I have flat and wide feet and Ascics are really the only shoe that gives me the proper support that I need.

Also make sure you are stretching as your calves can be very tight and causing the pain. You want to do dynamic stretching prior to your run and static stretches after. I hope this helps

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 12, 2015
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.