Parrotperson
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi, I am about to start my EPQ but I am really struggling to decide on what to do. I really want to do one on biology, specifically to do with natural selection or evolution since it is the area I find the most interesting.

I have a few ideas but I feel like they are really ropey. What do you think, or should I just scrap these?

My question ideas so far:

To what extent is descent with modification the most key factor in the survival of a species in today's natural world (I was going to use sexual selection/ rapid habitat and climate change/ human intervention and domestication as counter arguments to natural selection being the most important factor)

I also thought about doing a more ethical based one asking whether or not we as a society exploit the knowledge of evolution and natural selection that we now have (using the dog and racehorse industry's/ selective breeding in agriculture and domestication as examples)

I really don't think these are science-y enough but I really need to decide soon. What do you guys think?
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses.

I'm going to quote in Tank Girl now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :yy:

Spoiler:
Show
(Original post by Tank Girl)
x
ontherazzle
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
What you are marked on is the planning, research, development and presentation of your topic, not on the choice of topic itself. Choose something that really interests you and will give you scope for writing an interesting report.

What the EPQ looks for is evidence of good organisational skills, the correct use of appropriate research methods and the ability to develop, evaluate and adjust your ideas as you go along. Keeping a detailed production log is vital. You might start off with one idea and then when you begin to carry out research realise that you would rather concentrate on a different aspect - that is absolutely fine; if you explain your reasons for this change in the production log that will gain you marks! You should be aiming to show that you are capable of critical analysis, can overcome problems, and are creative and adaptable.

The great thing about the EPQ is that it allows you to choose virtually any subject that you like for your report. Take advantage of that and choose something that really piques your curiosity and that you will enjoy researching - and don't worry about whether it is "science-y enough"!

Good luck!
ElectricWalrus98
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I want to do "how sustainable is Dubai's economy?"
Planning it ATM and it isvery interesting.
I have an internship in Dubai coming up where I hope to do more research and get a feel for it.
Trying to plan the question is quite hard as there is so much to talk about.
Any advice? And also is this a good question?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (58)
12.53%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (8)
1.73%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (122)
26.35%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (43)
9.29%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (217)
46.87%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
3.24%

Watched Threads