Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, many thanks in advance to anyone who reads this and responds. So here's my situation:

Last year I had to temporarily leave uni due to what I now know was untreated bipolar disorder. One consequence of this episode is that I am now left in a very dire financial situation: I currently have £0.95 to my name. Being an EU student means that I don't qualify for:

- a maintenance loan/grant
    - a student bank account (so no interest-free overdraft as far as I'm aware)
    - DSA (disabled student allowance)

My home country isn't particular resourceful in this area either.

Thankfully my uni is helping me out financially - I receive two bursaries from them. However, this is simply not enough to cover rent & food for the year. Is there anywhere else I can turn to for financial help?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord of the Flies)
    Hi all, many thanks in advance to anyone who reads this and responds. So here's my situation:

Last year I had to temporarily leave uni due to what I now know was untreated bipolar disorder. One consequence of this episode is that I am now left in a very dire financial situation: I currently have £0.95 to my name. Being an EU student means that I don't qualify for:

- a maintenance loan/grant
    - a student bank account (so no interest-free overdraft as far as I'm aware)
    - DSA (disabled student allowance)

My home country isn't particular resourceful in this area either.

Thankfully my uni is helping me out financially - I receive two bursaries from them. However, this is simply not enough to cover rent & food for the year. Is there anywhere else I can turn to for financial help?
    If you get a job working a certain number of hours a week then you can claim the maintainance loan/grant. Your uni may be able to offer you a hardship loan/grant. Otherwise the idea is that as you aren't from this country and haven't (or your parents havent) paid taxes into the system then you aren't entitled to state support here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    If you get a job working a certain number of hours a week then you can claim the maintainance loan/grant. Your uni may be able to offer you a hardship loan/grant. Otherwise the idea is that as you aren't from this country and haven't (or your parents havent) paid taxes into the system then you aren't entitled to state support here.
    Thanks for the info. My parents actually work in the UK, so this is all very silly. Unfortunately I cannot get a job most of the year because my university prohibits it during term time. Will look into hardship loans/grants, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord of the Flies)
    Thanks for the info. My parents actually work in the UK, so this is all very silly. Unfortunately I cannot get a job most of the year because my university prohibits it during term time. Will look into hardship loans/grants, thanks.
    If your parents work in the UK, provided they work enough hours, you can apply as a child of a migrant worker and get a maintenance loan and possibly a grant depending on their income.

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Days Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  2. University of Sunderland
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  3. Plymouth College of Art
    All MA Programmes Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.