Turn on thread page Beta

iPhone/Android Tablet? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I've owned an iPhone 5 for the past 2 and a half years and plan on keeping it as it is serviceable and relatively cheap.

I am doing a masters in history starting next week and wish to purchase a tablet.

Prior to the iPhone I had an HTC Desire, so familiar with both Android and iOS (although the Android seems like a lifetime ago now). It doesn't really bother me which operating system I have tbh.

However, I don't really know anything about the tablet market.. So I'd really appreciate it if people could offer me some advice in which direction to go when choosing a device. One thing I seem to have learnt recently is it's not always the best idea to buy the most expensive toy!

I am, initially, drawn more toward purchasing an Android tablet. The main draw here is the fact that if I want to download and watch something on my tablet as and when I like; I can. With an iPad I would have to transfer the file from my PC. The cost of iPads are also somewhat offputting. What concerns me, however, is owning an iPhone and an Android tablet and then having difficulty keeping everything in sync. Mainly I will be using the tablet to take notes on (and here I mean notes from reading, not necessarily lectures/seminars, and will probably keep to PC/laptop to write up essays). I'm sure if I got some 3rd party note software etc it would keep everything synced regardless of OS though, am I right?

A relative owns a 10.1" surface tablet/PC device and I have been using this a bit, although I'm confident I would stay away from Windows in this sense. I popped into a local shop and tried out a few tablets very briefly and found myself drawn to the 'Samsung Tab 4 8" wifi tablet' which was £149.99 (haven't looked around for better deals yet). Although I was somewhat put off when I read a couple of online reviews which gave it no more than an 'average' verdict, it seems to be a serviceable device for a decent price (taking into account my needs). I would, most probably, like to watch things on my tablet -- as I have alluded to -- and it seems to be the screen/video quality that let it down somewhat.

I presume I have given enough information for people to hopefully be able to offer relevant advice.

Much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Nexus 9 tablet is really good take a look at that or Lenovo A series tablets, as a last resort the iPad

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks!

Will have a look into them.

Could you give me any pros/cons of either device? The Nexus seems to be quite expensive, whilst the Lenovo seems to be larger than the Samsung Tab I tried and felt comfortable with. Once again any comments on that Samsung tablet would be helpful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by micah114)
    Thanks!

Will have a look into them.

Could you give me any pros/cons of either device? The Nexus seems to be quite expensive, whilst the Lenovo seems to be larger than the Samsung Tab I tried and felt comfortable with. Once again any comments on that Samsung tablet would be helpful.
    Don't like Samsung tablets, the nexus 9 is very snappy and quick and has a high quality build but come at £200 price mark, it also comes with a more powerful 64bit processor and is more orientated to graphics applications, has 2gb ram too, better battery life than Lenovo and other counterparts, seems to have a nice crisp screen

This particular Lenovo which I bought for my sister a couple of months ago

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-10-1-.../dp/B00J33Y00G

Has a plastic matte finish build, is quiet snappy and does everything smoothly, watching videos etc and speakers are wonderful

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.