Turn on thread page Beta

The best way to sort out achy muscles? watch

ReputationRep:
    As the title says,what is the best way to stop muscles aching after exercise?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    It'll stop happening over time, just keep cracking on

ReputationRep:
    book a massage

ReputationRep:
    It will get better with time and may even go away completely. Stretching will help as will a foam roller.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ab992502)
    As the title says,what is the best way to stop muscles aching after exercise?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Heat pads Also try rubbing oil and massaging the area that is in pain if possible! Hope I helped m9

ReputationRep:
    My ad when his muscles ache gets me to jam my thumbs at the muscle and rub the area....not sure if that's scientific or if he's just a masochist.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by S27)
    It will get better with time and may even go away completely. Stretching will help as will a foam roller.
    This

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Do the exercise more often

ReputationRep:
    warm down -adequate streching id imagine, i bot of post-workout protein helps with muscle repair i understand

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danadd9)
    Do the exercise more often
    I dance all day everyday..I'm sure that's enough exercise😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Train again, serious.

which of your muscles hurt and from what exercises?

ReputationRep:
    Take a hot bath to increase blood flow and move the lactic acid out of the muscles.

Stretch..

ReputationRep:
    Protein shakes.

ReputationRep:
    Invest in a foam roller. It seriously helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by undead345)
    Invest in a foam roller. It seriously helps
    Where can I get one from and for how much?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Foam roll before, maybe even after if you feel bad. Also just exercising regularly will mean you ache less

ReputationRep:
    Lots of *******s in here.

There is no evidence that stretching or foam rolling or massage pre/post or intra workout has any effect on limiting post work out soreness.

There is limited (read: sketchy) evidence that stretching or foam rolling/massage can provide temporary relief during the episode of muscle soreness (it's not going to be a miracle worker mind) but it is not better than a generalised warm up and it will return once you're no longer exercising.

There is evidence to support cold showers, ice baths and sea swimming (the things studies use, eh) following exercise to limit the duration and intensity of muscle soreness post exercise.

My general advice regarding DOMS is, if you think it's gonna be real bad - lots of eccentric load after time off - to take a cold shower immediately following exercise. I dont think cold showers are really required for most trainees after the initial couple of sessions. If you've missed your opportunity then it's simply a matter of time.

Don't skip training unless the pain is still interfering and problematic after a proper warm up. With time, the incidence will generally subside or become less of a problem as you become more accustomed to training.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Also evidence showing that cold showers and ice baths do not help recovery, they will stop soreness though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RollerBall)
    Lots of *******s in here.

There is no evidence that stretching or foam rolling or massage pre/post or intra workout has any effect on limiting post work out soreness.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's funny but the British Journal of Sports Medicine disagrees with you

http://m.bjsm.bmj.com/content/37/1/72.short

Please feel free to back up your claims with suitable evidence

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.