Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm currently in year 13 and have got an A in biology and maths, and a B in chemistry. My fourth AS is further maths, which was stuctured in a way that i'll be doing the last module this year. My predictions are A*ABa in the same subject order.

I plan on applying to Nottingham, RVC, Bristol and either Edinburgh or Surrey. Is it worth applying this year with a B in chemistry, or will I be rejected straight away?
    Has anyone, or does anyone know someone, who has at least got to interview with these grades?

Thanks!
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Hey there, welcome to the forum

All those places ask for an A in A2 chem I'm afraid. A B at AS is no problem, but It's easy for vet schools to reject people on the basis of grades, so I'd really recommend really pushing for that A prediction in A2 chem. It won't be too difficult to pull your B at AS up to an A if you retake. If you're worried about the workload and you're not to attached to further maths then personally I wouldn't bother finishing it. Yes it is a shame to come so far (It's odd that you do AS over two years anyway...) but your A2s are more important.

If you get AAA predictions and end up with an offer, you'll probably find that actually getting AAA is less of a concern I got into RVC this year with AAB, and I have a friend who got into Surrey with the same. To be honest I'd give Edinburgh a miss if you're worried about grades though, they're not known to be lenient.

Edited after double checking something

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Tail Chaser)
    Hey there, welcome to the forum

All those places ask for an A in A2 chem I'm afraid. A B at AS is no problem, but It's easy for vet schools to reject people on the basis of grades, so I'd really recommend really pushing for that A prediction in A2 chem. It won't be too difficult to pull your B at AS up to an A if you retake. If you're worried about the workload and you're not to attached to further maths then personally I wouldn't bother finishing yet. Yes it is a shame to come so far (It's odd that you do AS over two years anyway...) but your A2s are more important.

If you get AAA predictions and end up with an offer, you'll probably find that actually getting AAA is less of a concern I got into RVC this year with AAB, and I have a friend who got into Surrey with the same. To be honest I'd give Edinburgh a miss if you're worried about grades though, they're not known to be lenient.

Edited after double checking something
    Hey! Thanks for the reply.

I've tried to get an A prediction, and I'll keep on trying, but my school is pretty strict on their predictions. They have said that they would be able state in their reference that I have the ability to achieve an A, but they didn't want to predict me it officially.

I was originally doing full further maths and dropped to AS so I could focus more time on Chemistry, and retaking the AS modules. Not sure why they do the course the way they do either, but we did a maths A2 module last year and the final AS further maths module this year.

I heard that RVC take the top 400 or so BMAT scores and they get an interview, but can still be rejected for grades after. Do you know if that's true? I was thinking of applying this year to get a better idea of the process and maybe an interview if I'm lucky, even if I don't get any offers, so I know what to expect next year (assuming I get the grades).
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by KingofDucks)
    Hey! Thanks for the reply.
    No problem

I've tried to get an A prediction, and I'll keep on trying, but my school is pretty strict on their predictions. They have said that they would be able state in their reference that I have the ability to achieve an A, but they didn't want to predict me it officially.
    I can't say how much weight the reference holds, but again I'd really advise trying to get an A predicted 'officially'. Is there anyone at school you can discuss it with? Do your teachers know that you're applying for vet? I can sympathise fully as some of my friends had a right nightmare trying to get their predicted grades pushed up. Perhaps discuss with your chemistry teacher(s) what you can do to get better results this time around. If they see that you're serious and are genuinely trying to aim for the A then they may be more generous.

I was originally doing full further maths and dropped to AS so I could focus more time on Chemistry, and retaking the AS modules. Not sure why they do the course the way they do either, but we did a maths A2 module last year and the final AS further maths module this year.
    That's a funky way of doing things Not that it's your fault, or anything. Are you at a private school by any chance? I still stand by what I say though, with the exception of Cambridge vet schools don't seem to care a huge deal about AS, so don't feel pressured into completing further maths if it'll take up too much of your time. Your offer won't ride on it.

I heard that RVC take the top 400 or so BMAT scores and they get an interview, but can still be rejected for grades after. Do you know if that's true? I was thinking of applying this year to get a better idea of the process and maybe an interview if I'm lucky, even if I don't get any offers, so I know what to expect next year (assuming I get the grades).
    RVC aren't very transparent about the way they use the BMAT, but as I understand it, anyone who doesn't meet the (predicted) grade requirements is rejected, then your application is looked at holistically and 'scored' based on your personal statement, work experience etc. BMAT is part of this. The top scoring people are then invited to interview, so it isn't necessarily the case that a fantastic BMAT would guarantee you an interview, nor would it be the case that a poor BMAT score means an immediate rejection. After this your interview score is added to your previous score at the top people are given offers. It could definitely be the case that you could be rejected after this due to (achieved) grades, but RVC are very nice and have been known to be very lenient.

Bear in mind that I don't have any proper sources for this, it's just what I gathered from the admissions process/my recollection of what we were told at interview. This could be slightly/completely wrong, and even if it is correct there's no guarantee that this system will be followed for the 2016 application cycle.

By all means apply this year if you want to. I agree that it's a good idea to try and get a feel for the application process, but (and sorry to be negative ) if you don't have the predicted grades required then don't get your hopes up. Things to consider:
    • Applying through UCAS costs money, as does sitting the BMAT, and this could end up being a waste of money.
    • Some universities limit the number of times you can reapply, so research into this and apply carefully.
    • Applying actually takes up a lot of time. Between writing your PS, BMAT prep, interview prep etc this runs into hours. Is this time better spent on college work?

ReputationRep:
    Bristol doesn't assess AS grades.

They only look at GCSE and A2 predictions.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by KingofDucks)
    You really do need an A prediction. I would firstly really show the teacher that you are trying and wanting to improve on your B grade. Do you homework on time, may extra attention in class, go up to the teacher after class if you feel you don't understand something or to perhaps ask for extra reading. Be proactive in your chemistry lessons (perhaps skim read chapters before your lesson so you can grasp things quicker or answer more questions). Show you are willing and dedicated to the subject.

Secondly, if you won't bump your grade up and they still won't budge, then get your parents involved. My school bumped my grades up straight away when I told them I was applying to vet med. You are only asking for one grade higher and other schools will bump grades up all the time for some students. Colleges, unfortunately, don't always treat you as an adult so your parent's involvement may have great influence (speaking from experience). You won't lose anything by getting your parents involved.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SilverstarDJ)
    My school bumped my grades up straight away when I told them I was applying to vet med. You are only asking for one grade higher and other schools will bump grades up all the time for some students.
    Please remember that whilst an inflated prediction might get you an offer, it won't get you a place if you still get AAB in August.

Be realistic. If you know that your chances of AAA are non-existent, then don't ask for AAA predictions. The reality of 'no you are not going to Uni' next August will be very painful.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    Please remember that whilst an inflated prediction might get you an offer, it won't get you a place if you still get AAB in August.

Be realistic. If you know that your chances of AAA are non-existent, then don't ask for AAA predictions. The reality of 'no you are not going to Uni' next August will be very painful.
    While I agree that predictions should match what a student is on-track to achieve, it isn't true that getting AAB would result in a student not getting in :nah: . It obviously depends on the cohort year on year, but some universities have been known to be lenient. I got into RVC with AAB this year I know people at Liverpool, Surrey and Bristol who did the same. Clearly it would be very unwise to depend on this, though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SilverstarDJ)
    You really do need an A prediction. I would firstly really show the teacher that you are trying and wanting to improve on your B grade. Do you homework on time, may extra attention in class, go up to the teacher after class if you feel you don't understand something or to perhaps ask for extra reading. Be proactive in your chemistry lessons (perhaps skim read chapters before your lesson so you can grasp things quicker or answer more questions). Show you are willing and dedicated to the subject.

Secondly, if you won't bump your grade up and they still won't budge, then get your parents involved. My school bumped my grades up straight away when I told them I was applying to vet med. You are only asking for one grade higher and other schools will bump grades up all the time for some students. Colleges, unfortunately, don't always treat you as an adult so your parent's involvement may have great influence (speaking from experience). You won't lose anything by getting your parents involved.
    Thanks for the advice, I think I am being more proactive in classes, but I'll also ask for extra reading, etc. as you mentioned.

What is particularly annoying is that it is specifically the chemistry department that is being strict on grades. However, I am going to ask about AS module clinics, and talk to the head of chemistry, as after the christmas break, I will have finished the maths course, and the only new modules I will be learning will be in bio and chem. (And so I'll have alot more time to prepare for the exams)

Not sure how to multiquote, but to Returnmigrant:

Last year, I was really underprepared/lazy before my exams (particularly chemistry) and began focusing too late, which resulted in my poor grade. It is not that I don't have the ability to get the grade, but I was foolishly lazy. This year I'm 1000s of times more focused on getting an A, and over the summer I began teaching myself the courses. Practically any of my free time will be spent preparing for the exams, so actually in a way your correct that if I don't achieve an A grade it will be very painful/probably absolutely destroy me. But if all goes to plan, I'll be leaving with an A. (None of this is supposed to sound cocky, if that is the way it comes across).

ReputationRep:
    You could of course wait until you have your A level results and apply in 2016 for 2017 entry.

That way you would know if you stood a chance of an offer - and you could really concentrate on your A levels this year without all the distractions of applying for a Uni place at the same time.

If you are determined enough to be a Vet, another year's wait is worth it.

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I managed to get my prediction raised! So now I am at A*AAa prediction. Thanks for all the advice.

Little Tail Chaser, do you think it would be worth applying to Edinburgh now? Also, I was wondering if anyone knew whether Glasgow looked at AS or just predictions.

Thanks!!!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 6, 2015

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.