The Student Room Group

Are you set on a particular career?

Scroll to see replies

1st priority:
IBD or Strat Consulting at a top firm or Corporate Law at an MC firm

2nd priority:
Bizops, Product Management or Software Development at a top tech firm or startup

3rd priority:
Everything else

Posted from TSR Mobile
So relatable, but i finally have a goal, to be a published author, thats all, nothing fancy, just keep on doing the things i love to do (pretty much everything that aren't outdoorsy)
Original post by Alexion
Computer hardware engineering :h: quite specific, but exactly what excites me

Has that got physics in it?
Original post by Mr JB
I changed my mind a lot then realised I wasn't cut out for working for someone else helping them to get rich. Its far better to set up your own business, be your own boss and live life on your own terms. Once you get set in habits then its not hard. The hardest part is getting off your arse to get going in the first place.

Does it take over your life though? Needing to watch it 24/7?
Original post by Changing Skies
I swear I must be the most indecisive person in history. I have changed my mind so many times in terms of what career I'd like to go into, so I'm hoping I finally stick to what's appealing at the moment. Are you certain on what you'd like to do? If so, what is it? To those already in a full time job, is it what you hoped to do for a while?

In full time job post uni.

Not at all what i thought I'd be doing but it's a very interesting exciting job with decent prospects for future.

It's tough to know what you want to do when you're 16 and stupid. I was planning on research but hated it during my masters so work in industry now for double the money.
Reply 85
Original post by Changing Skies
I swear I must be the most indecisive person in history. I have changed my mind so many times in terms of what career I'd like to go into, so I'm hoping I finally stick to what's appealing at the moment. Are you certain on what you'd like to do? If so, what is it? To those already in a full time job, is it what you hoped to do for a while?

I've definitely decided I'm going to try and single handedly cause the next credit crunch and recession :tongue:
Im 34

And only now have a i found a career i want to pursue. Ive done the training, put in the hours in coursework, attended the classes and lectures, got the qualifications and just started a career in care.

Now the fun is finding a full time job in it
Original post by silverbolt
Im 34

And only now have a i found a career i want to pursue. Ive done the training, put in the hours in coursework, attended the classes and lectures, got the qualifications and just started a career in care.

Now the fun is finding a full time job in it

I'm worried about going back into education after i leave it, is it hard to saveup for it? I don't think you get loans like before?
Woeking in a pharmaceutical company/accountant firm or a train driver
So will probably do chemistry at uni :smile:
Oh God. I was set on becoming a lawyer, so I studied law this past year. Little did I realise that I absolutely despised about 50% of my course, which really reflected badly. I use to be the type of wake up at 6 to study something because I loved it, with law I was constantly pushing it away.

It took me a while to realise I should study something that I feel passionate about and care so much about that I treat it almost as a child- (in a weird way)- so I'm going to be studying history from this september. So glad I made the right choice, my career paths have also changed slightly as a result. I might consider going down law as a career- but I'm quite set on teaching. I want to shape someones thoughts on life positively.
Original post by SeemsToBe
I'm worried about going back into education after i leave it, is it hard to saveup for it? I don't think you get loans like before?

I live in Ireland, over here we make it very easy for people to retrain, take courses, go back to college/uni and learn new skills. Either for free through the social or paid for privately.
Reply 91
Does it take over your life though? Needing to watch it 24/7?

No. I build it around my life. I couldn't really do that in a conventional job because someone else is pulling the strings, not myself.
I have always wanted to be a teacher, ever since I was a little girl with a blackboard on my wall, teaching an empty bedroom how to do maths. :sad:
either the VFX / film/ game industry.

Illustration

Or something out-doorsy like a rock climbing / kayaking / sky diving instructor.
Has that got physics in it?

Yep. Supposedly. Well, Physics is a 100% prerequisite to Electronic Engineering, of which computer systems is a component :smile:
5 hours from now

University lecturer and researcher in Middle Eastern History and Culture

Hopefully

Quick Reply

Latest