Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am at the moment doing 4 A-Levels and am in year 12. My subjects are Physics, Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths (although i will take my Maths A-Level this year and do the Further Maths A-Level next year - we are given 8hours of Maths each week and i will take 7 modules this year in order to only take 5 next year).

I was thinking of doing a Classical Greek AS level over 2 years as it sounds really interesting. I have not studied Greek before but have studied Latin and really enjoyed it although i got an A at GCSE (this was because of the fact that i lost my study cards a week before the exam). Do you guys think i'm ruddy mental for thinking of doing this on top of all my other subjects and how did you find it?

(ps. This may be just because we only started last tuesday but i'm really bored at the moment as i have quite a lot of free periods and have easily completed all the work having read ahead quite a bit- so also could somebody also share their experiences on that front)

Thanks
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses.

I'm going to quote in Tank Girl now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :yy:

Spoiler:
    Show
    (Original post by Tank Girl)
    x

ReputationRep:
    I'm teaching myself Greek AS this year, (I taught myself GCSE and got an A* so i thought it would be fun). I don't think you will struggle too much with Greek as long as you're interested and willing to put in the work. Make sure you learn your vocab list well (there's one on the OCR website) and, perhaps most crucially, KNOW YOUR SET BOOKS- i learned this the hard way at GCSE. The set books for 2015-17 are Homer Illiad XXII and Lysias, Against Simon. For those i would reccommend finding a good translation as well as getting a copy of the origional and thinking about key themes, literary techniques etc etc.

Most people would say Greek is "hard", but it's actually an incredibly rewarding subject too, so if you're committed, go for it!

ReputationRep:
    hey sorry this may be a bit late, i too am teaching myself Greek. How's it going?

ReputationRep:
    it's going quite well i think - i'm getting to know the language this year and then working on the set books next year. I realised that i was being entered for the 2016 exam in the language paper which was unexpected but i hope that it's going as well as i think it is. I have almost gotten up to full GCSE level (working through 3 books - GCSE Parts 1 and 2 then Greek beyond GCSE) so i think it's all working decently. I have found a great vocab list that matches my books on Memrise, which is brilliant. At the moment i'm doing around 2/2.5 hours a week. How're you going?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 25, 2016

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.