Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello

I hope everyone's finding college good and really enjoying their courses. I am studying a level maths and geography along with applied science.

I really don't seem to like applied science that much and wondering if I should change it to do a level English language and phsycology. I recieved a B in gcse English.

Finally can someone tell me how English language is ?

Thanks much appreciated. 😀

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Quite a few universities don't accept applied sciences. I recommend going for English or another strong subject like History. Psychology is also good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by High Stakes)
    Yes. Quite a few universities don't accept applied sciences. I recommend going for English or another strong subject like History. Psychology is also good.
    Thanks for the reply and I had been thinking all day if it was right for me and if it was even valued enough to be worth two A levels. I did a mini assignment today and got a distinction without even trying😂.

Do you know what sort of degrees I could do with A levels English, maths, geography and psychology?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bilalali2015)
    Thanks for the reply and I had been thinking all day if it was right for me and if it was even valued enough to be worth two A levels. I did a mini assignment today and got a distinction without even trying😂.

Do you know what sort of degrees I could do with A levels English, maths, geography and psychology?

Thanks
    Quite a lot of different ones. You have a number of different options, with your Maths, Geography and English. Possibly a degree in maths/economics/accounting/statistics or on the other side of the spectrum English/Geography/environmental degrees. You could even do Law or Politics or perhaps go for Philosophy? Or maybe PPE? (Politics, Philosophy and Economics - a well respected degree). You basically have 3 well respected subjects. I can't really list you all the possible degrees you can do because there are so many.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by High Stakes)
    Quite a lot of different ones. You have a number of different options, with your Maths, Geography and English. Possibly a degree in maths/economics/accounting/statistics or on the other side of the spectrum English/Geography/environmental degrees. You could even do Law or Politics or perhaps go for Philosophy? Or maybe PPE? (Politics, Philosophy and Economics - a well respected degree). You basically have 3 well respected subjects. I can't really list you all the possible degrees you can do because there are so many.
    Thanks again! Can I ask if you've taken any of my subjects and how you found them/what grades you acheived/how much revision you did? Also is their a change I could get into a degree that was science based with or without a foundation year at uni?

Thanks again...😀

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bilalali2015)
    Thanks again! Can I ask if you've taken any of my subjects and how you found them/what grades you acheived/how much revision you did? Also is their a change I could get into a degree that was science based with or without a foundation year at uni?

Thanks again...😀
    I do Biology, Chemistry, Economics & Maths and came out with A's this year.

I think foundation courses are for people who couldn't take up science A levels due to their circumstances. If you want to do a science degree definitely take up either Chemistry or Physics (both compliment Maths nicely). This will open a HELL of a lot more options for you than right now (I mean a LOT).

ReputationRep:
    English Language is a good A-Level to have. Reasonably enjoyable and not extremely difficult. Quite a lot of it relies on your own interpretation which is nice, giving you more freedom in the coursework and the exams. English is probably the best subject to have under your belt if you want a wide range of career options. Universities love to see English Language on your UCAS form.

As for Psychology well... Psychology is similarly enjoyable and not extremely difficult. It's more of a Humanities than a Science depending on your exam board but that just means it's easier, mine was way more case-study based than sciencey but it was still interesting. A lot of it involves evaluating case studies which is quite dull at first but you get used to it and it becomes enjoyable. It's a very useful skill to have as well.

I did English, Maths and Psychology at A-Level and I enjoyed them all. I wouldn't recommend Maths if you didn't get at least an A at GCSE or study Module 10 though (if they still have Modules, basically when I did GCSE Maths we had Modules 3-10 (mini exams thoughout the 2 years). If you were in a good maths set you started at Module 7 and worked your way up to Module 10. If you didn't do the equivalent of Module 10 or get at least an A then you may want to consider something else, or just drop it at A2 cause AS Maths is still pretty easy and looks good on your UCAS form).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaskOfKeaton)
    English Language is a good A-Level to have. Reasonably enjoyable and not extremely difficult. Quite a lot of it relies on your own interpretation which is nice, giving you more freedom in the coursework and the exams. English is probably the best subject to have under your belt if you want a wide range of career options. Universities love to see English Language on your UCAS form.

As for Psychology well... Psychology is similarly enjoyable and not extremely difficult. It's more of a Humanities than a Science depending on your exam board but that just means it's easier, mine was way more case-study based than sciencey but it was still interesting. A lot of it involves evaluating case studies which is quite dull at first but you get used to it and it becomes enjoyable. It's a very useful skill to have as well.

I did English, Maths and Psychology at A-Level and I enjoyed them all. I wouldn't recommend Maths if you didn't get at least an A at GCSE or study Module 10 though (if they still have Modules, basically when I did GCSE Maths we had Modules 3-10 (mini exams thoughout the 2 years). If you were in a good maths set you started at Module 7 and worked your way up to Module 10. If you didn't do the equivalent of Module 10 or get at least an A then you may want to consider something else, or just drop it at A2 cause AS Maths is still pretty easy and looks good on your UCAS form).
    Yes I was thinks of dropping A level Maths at A2 as I feel that i would just spend all my revision on maths and then probably fail that along with the others! All of us who are in lower 6th have an exam to do in a months time to see if we're even worth maths at AS!

Thanks

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.