Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So my gcse grades were awful but I want more then anything to do medicine at Oxbridge preferably cambridge. I got:
    Bio A
    Chemistry A
    Math A
    Physics B
    English lit and lang A
    History A*
    French C
    Re B
    Music B
    Statistics B

What are the lowest grades that are usually accepted by Oxbridge? Has anyone got similar grades for GCSE and still got into Cambridge? Would these grades be accepted by exeter medical school? Provided I do brilliantly in my A levels of course.

ReputationRep:
    Simple answer is that they are much below par for oxford who probably wouldn't consider you. Cambridge again unlikely the rest you have to research and find the ones with low gcse reqs.

ReputationRep:
    Honest truth, you have no chance for Oxford or Cambridge, with those gcses you just meet the requirements for places like st Georges.

ReputationRep:
    An average applicant for medicine at Cambridge has 10 A* at GCSE. They probably would reject you before interview with just 1A*, sorry. Why do you want to study medicine specifically at Cambridge?

ReputationRep:
    I think you would be very unlikely to get into either. If you do try for one, it would have to be Cambridge.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    You will not get in to Oxford. http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/med...cal/statistics

You would be highly unlikely to get into Cambridge, though if you can pull 95+ UMS out of the bag then your chances would be non-0. https://web.archive.org/web/20130514...esentation.pdf

(Original post by sharan77)
    So my gcse grades were awful but I want more then anything to do medicine at Oxbridge preferably cambridge. I got:
    Bio A
    Chemistry A
    Math A
    Physics B
    English lit and lang A
    History A*
    French C
    Re B
    Music B
    Statistics B

What are the lowest grades that are usually accepted by Oxbridge? Has anyone got similar grades for GCSE and still got into Cambridge? Would these grades be accepted by exeter medical school? Provided I do brilliantly in my A levels of course.
    Unfortunately, you've got zero chance at Oxford as they use GCSEs in conjunction with entrance test scores to shortlist people for interview and the average successful medicine applicant at Oxford has 10.2 A*s at GCSE and an A* proportion of 94 percent. It is contextualised to see how you've done in relation to the rest of your year but there is just no chance in hell that you're going to get into an undergraduate course at Oxford.

Like another person has said, if you manage to get something like an SUMS average of 95 percent or higher, you may have a non-zero chance at getting into Cambridge. But unless your GCSE grades were the result of significant extenuating circumstances, I think it's unlikely because A-levels are a damn sight more difficult than GCSEs and, if you'd checked this website on 13th August, you would've seen that there are plenty of people with better GCSE results than you who came out with very poor A-level results and are now resitting year 12 and/or dropping out of sixth form. Not to mention that, with the A-level reforms, GCSEs are likely to become more important in the application process anyway.

I also question your motives for wanting to go for 'Oxbridge.' What is it about medicine at Oxbridge that appeals to you? We've had a few threads like this and the answer is always something like 'they're just the best universities around for yada yada yada reasons.' If you can't cope with exam pressure at GCSE level, Oxford and Cambridge are likely to put you in hospital. There's a reason they place so much emphasis on exam results: assessment at both these universities is almost entirely by examination and if you can't do well at GCSE exams, then you will simply drop out before you've finished a single year at Oxford or Cambridge.

Doing brilliantly at A-levels is easier said than done, I think you'll find. If you'd wanted to go to Oxbridge as badly as you say, you would've put in the effort to get better grades. It is more likely that you're simply chasing the prestige of these universities rather than wanting to go there for any substantive reason.

I'm sorry to be harsh but this is just the way it is. You will be in competition with thousands of people who've got 6 A*s or more and there is just no reason why they would pick you over them.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 10, 2015

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.