Turn on thread page Beta

Off to Uni? BBC Radio 1’s Surgery wants to hear from YOU! watch

• Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    As we gear up for Fresher’s Week, The Surgery with Gemma and Dr Radha are talking about heading off to University.

Whether you’re stressed about your impending studies, worried about making new friends and going it alone, or perhaps you’re just sad to be missing mum! Let us know here, and if you’ve got any tips for your fellow freshers, put them here too!

Note: you can post anonymously in this forum

Hi,

I move to university this Saturday and I'm looking forward to it but i'm also really scared.I don't feel like I have anyone for support cause my friends have been ignoring me and haven't even bothered to meet with me before I go.

I also suffer from anxiety and I have very bad panic attacks which can happen weekly. I went to the doctors a few months ago and they acted like I was making it up and that it wasn't serious enough to do anything about. I'm worried about this cause i'm going to be doing English Literature which involves discussions and I can't talk like that infront of anymore than 3 people.

Please help.

I'm heading off to University to begin my second Undergraduate degree. I went straight to an art college after my GCSEs for two reasons; one, to pursue art because I was 'good' at it, and two, to get away from students who had bullied me in the past and were heading to the other local establishment. Number two is a terrible reason, but I didn't quite appreciate my naivety at the time!

Several years and a PGCE later I came to realise I was turning into exactly the kind of person I didn't want to be - someone going through the motions in a subject they were no longer passionate about. It was quite depressing! I had regretted turning my back on subjects like physics and biology, since they'd always truly fascinated me

Fast forward to today, and I have my brand new shiny Access to HE certificate and my sights set on a degree as a mature in Diagnostic Radiography. I'm due to arrive at my new student digs this weekend.

I'm extremely nervous, since I'll be entering the course as a mature student, but I'm equally worried that I will be surrounded by people who are more academically on the ball when it comes to examinations, since while I am trained to a postgraduate level, this is a much more vocational subject with a definite line between 'right' and wrong', and a lot of weight on examinations over coursework.

During the summer I have spent most of my time cramming and trying to brush up on my maths and physics!

I know I passed my course to get here, and I know the university has accepted me.. I guess I'm a bit worried about being a bit of an outsider!

ReputationRep:
    Do you think this is a legitimate use of taxpayer money? The BBC has a role to inform and entertain, I had no idea this mandate stretched to posting on random public forums.

I do not approve.

I'm off back to university after doing a foundation year in computer science and receiving the max grants. Got to dislike the government abolish the extra grants ..isn't the norm 27k enough for tuition fees. They're always doing something about education that favours the upper class.

There's only been 5-6 years where tuition fees was 3k,A-level had the normal January exams in As and A2..and the exact duration David Cameron has been in power along with us being in a greater deficit than Labour caused...ducking David Cameron.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm off back to university after doing a foundation year in computer science and receiving the max grants. Got to dislike the government abolish the extra grants ..isn't the norm 27k enough for tuition fees. They're always doing something about education that favours the upper class.

There's only been 5-6 years where tuition fees was 3k,A-level had the normal January exams in As and A2..and the exact duration David Cameron has been in power along with us being in a greater deficit than Labour caused...ducking David Cameron.
    No, the deficit has decreases. It is just total debt that has increased

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm going to university in September, I'm studying Politics and I'm very politically engaged. I am quite Conservative, and I am worried the left-wing university scene will be hostile to my beliefs.

(Original post by cacra)
    No, the deficit has decreases. It is just total debt that has increased

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes I meant to say that but it was too late for me to edit the post!! ;(

I'm starting uni in 2 weeks, I'm nervous because I am from a background where my family cannot support me meaning I'll have to work to ensure that I can sustain myself. But, I'm on a course that is NHS funded and has 9-5 lectures most days - how can I be expected to do my best at uni while also having to work to cover my rent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BBC Radio 1)
    As we gear up for Fresher’s Week, The Surgery with Gemma and Dr Radha are talking about heading off to University.

Whether you’re stressed about your impending studies, worried about making new friends and going it alone, or perhaps you’re just sad to be missing mum! Let us know here, and if you’ve got any tips for your fellow freshers, put them here too!

Note: you can post anonymously in this forum

Busy...

(Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm going to university in September, I'm studying Politics and I'm very politically engaged. I am quite Conservative, and I am worried the left-wing university scene will be hostile to my beliefs.
    Omg, I'm having the exact some worries as you! I'm studying law, not politics, but I can help but be open about my political beliefs and I had such a hard time at college for being right wing! It's awful how us right wing students have to feel worried like this when it's the left who pride themselves in being the 'tolerant ' ones!

I'm starting uni soon but I'm worried because I'm really boring! I had to drop all my hobbies because of A Levels and so I don't play an instrument any more or do any sports, and I feel like I've become out of touch with the world. I'm afraid to join societies because I'm not even good at the things I used to enjoy doing anymore. How do I become interesting again?

i'm going to be a postgrad fresher in a week, but here are some things i learned as an undergrad fresher.

+ you'll meet lots of new people in the first few weeks. if you want to make friends, take their number and arrange to hang out again at some point
    + it's fine if you don't drink. go to predrinks to hang out with people (still fun sober) then bail if you're uncomfortable with clubbing. you'll likely find people in the same boat as you
    + try out societies. it's a great opportunity to get involved with new sports/activities, and you can do a bunch of cool stuff (skydiving, horseriding, scuba diving etc etc) for soooo cheap as a student. use it as a chance to see what you enjoy
    + talk to the people on your course. even if you don't end up being best buds with them, it's useful to have people you're on good terms with for studying/helping when you're stuck
    + buy kitchen appliances after you've arrived, because chances are there's gonna be eight toasters in your kitchen

i see lots of people worried because they don't drink, or because they're 'boring' (you're not), or because they're not good at talking to people. i don't drink and i suffer from social anxiety, and i won't lie, i was extremely nervous to start uni. but i ended up making a bunch of incredible friends who i still talk to even now (as a graduate) and uni was the best 4 years of my life.

ReputationRep:
    Second year due to move back to Canterbury on Wednesday! I'm doing English and American Lit & Creative Writing.

I would highly recommend that first years get a routine! You'll have a lot of spare time at university. If you get into the habit of going to the gym x time on y days, and doing your studying for x module on y days for z amount of time, it will really be worth it. Get into the habit of cooking balanced meals - it's so easy to slip into a bad diet, and takeaways cost more than cooking.

Also, take no nonsense from flatmates at the start of the year. If one of them is leaving a few dirty plates in the sink, nip the problem in the bud and confront them (without being too aggressive) about it. Believe me, if they think you're going to let them take up three counters with dirty plates, they will do exactly that. & take out your trash! The cleaner WILL wake you up at 8AM to tell you to take the rubbish out on the only day you have a lie in...no matter how much you insist it isn't your rubbish.

I'm going into my third year, and my first two years have been awful on the whole. Not to say there hasn't been some good moments, but most of my time has been blighted by loneliness, isolation, poor mental and physical health, bad flatmates and feeling generally miserable. I've tried everything I can to make friends - I've joined loads of societies (and will be president of 3 this year, including one I've established), done what I can to talk to people on my course and in halls, but I've just completely failed to actually make a lasting connection with anyone. I've even had to stop a new hobby I enjoyed because I just couldn't get past the acquaintance stage with anyone else in the group and it just added to how lonely I felt. I don't know what else I can do, and I'm afraid that what is supposed to be the best time of your life will instead be three years that end up completely destroying me as a person.

freshers tips:
    - don't forget to pack coathangers, but shops like m&s will give you loads free if you ask
    - learn to cook a couple of big sharing dishes, then you can cook with/for friends and it's a lot more fun (lasagne, curry, chinese, pastas etc)
    - you don't have to drink to have a good time, i've had plenty of fun sober nights, but don't be 'that guy' who judges everybody else for their choices
    - if a friend wants to leave the club early, walk them home. they'll do the same for you one day and you'll appreciate it
    - keeping food within arms reach of your bed is great for those hungover mornings...
    - send your parents away asap after you move in so you can go make friends!
    - make friends with coursemates, they're the only ones who can help you if you're struggling with work! particularly essential for science students in labs, i couldn't have got through 7 hour lab sessions without people to laugh with/help me
    - best way to make friends is to share a big cake, cookies, chocolate bars, or bottles of something for predrinks

ReputationRep:
    I lost my grandmother this week and am supposed to leave for uni in three days. Everyone tells me that the worst thing for me to do would be stop living, and I know that she would have wanted me to carry on - but I feel so guilty at the thought of enjoying myself and am worried that I will be too down and put people off making friends with me. I'm struggling to come to terms with everything and would really appreciate some advice on how to cope at university.

ReputationRep:
    I have a great tip. Don't pay for a bloody TV licence. Just say you don't watch TV. These days most of us watch netflix, Amazon Prime, or we use alluc or solarmovie, so the BBC can go F themselves. It's a ridiculous Tax. The staff get huge salaries and bonuses. We the taxpayer must pay for this service.....BUT the BBC sells some of their programmes and their channel to other countries, so they're making a profit out of OUR investment. The BBC will probs say they'll send someone to inspect my flat hahaha. They can go right ahead, the idiots will never know if I am watching TV or not. And they don't have a van or any other methd of detecting a active tv in flat/house, it's just a lie.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: September 18, 2015
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Welcome to the official BBC Radio 1: The Surgery forum. This forum is a chance for you to ask your questions and join the discussion here, you may even get a chance to get involved live on air.

Listen to the show live here

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.