Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I need some advice....
    I want to do medicine at Oxford but i'm not sure if my grades are good enough?
    I got 6A*s (maths, chemistry, biology, physics, art, graphics), 3A's (statistics, english lang, english lit) and 1B in french (getting remarked)

In statistics I was 4 UMS off an A* so is it worth getting it remarked so my proportion of A*s is 70% rather than 60%? (I know that's far lower than average but I got the best grades in my school and we have an A*-C rate of 55%)
    Ideally the maths department at school could pay for the remark but they spent all of their budget already and so has the exams office so i'll need to pay for it myself...(well my parents..)
    Even if my grade increases will Oxford be more likely to consider my application?

ReputationRep:
    with maths there is only one answer (UNLESS YOU TAKE SQUARE ROOT OF A NUMBER) it not like history or subjects like RE

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonnypdot)
    with maths there is only one answer (UNLESS YOU TAKE SQUARE ROOT OF A NUMBER) it not like history or subjects like RE
    Did you post this in the wrong thread?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainbowtwist)
    Did you post this in the wrong thread?
    What he/she is saying is in maths, it's much more difficult for your mark to change because the mark scheme is pretty black and white - your answer is either correct or incorrect unlike RS where the grade you get depends on the opinion of your examiner.
    Majority of Oxford students tend to have upwards of a 90% A* rate at GCSE - how would you feel about trying for Cambridge?

EDIT: Is it your Stats paper you're thinking of remarking? I think the previous poster (and myself) were under the impression it's the Maths paper since you were saying the maths department could pay for the remark.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    He's saying there's no point in getting a maths paper remarked because it's damn near impossible to screw up marking one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helloworld_95)
    He's saying there's no point in getting a maths paper remarked because it's damn near impossible to screw up marking one.
    Unless you're an idiot. Oh wait, Edexcel, OCR, AQA.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeenToDoctor)
    What he/she is saying is in maths, it's much more difficult for your mark to change because the mark scheme is pretty black and white - your answer is either correct or incorrect unlike RS where the grade you get depends on the opinion of your examiner.
    Majority of Oxford students tend to have upwards of a 90% A* rate at GCSE - how would you feel about trying for Cambridge?

EDIT: Is it your Stats paper you're thinking of remarking? I think the previous poster (and myself) were under the impression it's the Maths paper since you were saying the maths department could pay for the remark.

Ohhhhhh oops
    Yes it's stats ( the maths department controls the teaching etc. of statistics)
    If I remember correctly, there are questions in the statistics papers that are opinion based or some where you suggest a reason for the data
    Also, a friend of mine got their maths remarked which went up and another person lost 2 marks on one paper and gained 3 on the other !

Yeah Cambridge is an option which I'd be more than happy to aim for but I'm just worried about what they're doing about the new a levels? The only AS mark I'll have is for maths and my other 3 are only assessed in year 13.
    Does that mean that as long as I get 90%+ in maths they'd consider the application? :/ :/
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Yeah Cambridge is an option which I'd be more than happy to aim for but I'm just worried about what they're doing about the new a levels? The only AS mark I'll have is for maths and my other 3 are only assessed in year 13.
    They will do what they have always done and get you to self-report your marks. Nothing will be done differently.

Does that mean that as long as I get 90%+ in maths they'd consider the application? :/ :/
    No. It means that you chances even with 70% A* are pretty low. See http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/med...cal/statistics

I know that's far lower than average but I got the best grades in my school and we have an A*-C rate of 55%
    Good. However, that's hardly an unusual story and 55% is actually barely different from the national average. I think you'd be silly to apply relying entirely on exceptional consideration based on that alone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    They will do what they have always done and get you to self-report your marks. Nothing will be done differently.

No. It means that you chances even with 70% A* are pretty low. See http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/med...cal/statistics

Good. However, that's hardly an unusual story and 55% is actually barely different from the national average. I think you'd be silly to apply relying entirely on exceptional consideration based on that alone.

Thanks

What do you mean by self reporting your marks?

Also, what I meant regarding the 90%+ was about Cambridge because from what I've heard, they look at the average ums you get over all your AS levels?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Thanks

What do you mean by self reporting your marks?
    They will send you a form and you write down your marks. That is how they know them.

Also, what I meant regarding the 90%+ was about Cambridge because from what I've heard, they look at the average ums you get over all your AS levels?
    Oh right. Yes a general guide is that for Cambridge medicine you need 90+ average to stand a realistic chance, 92/3+ to stand a good chance. Largely based on https://web.archive.org/web/20130514...esentation.pdf

ReputationRep:
    Ohhhhhh oops
    Yes it's stats ( the maths department controls the teaching etc. of statistics)
    If I remember correctly, there are questions in the statistics papers that are opinion based or some where you suggest a reason for the data
    Also, a friend of mine got their maths remarked which went up and another person lost 2 marks on one paper and gained 3 on the other !

No idea - I did stats GCSE two years ago now so it's been a while but from what I remember it was pretty black and white. Nevertheless if it's what you want to do then by all means - can't lose much.

Not so sure how the new AS is working but for whatever marks you do get, they'd have to be in excess of a 90% av. Furthermore you'll need a strong A level prediction, good reference and evidence that you're a scientist - outside reading/sometimes lab work/CREST awards etc etc.
    I think you should put Oxford aside; without a 90 pA* rate, it'll be extremely risky in my opinion.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 11, 2015
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.