What does this quote mean? AS History.

Watch
doitforyou
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
‘The reason history glorifies the hunter is that the lions have no historians of their own’. To what extent do you agree with this statement? Use examples.

I don't understand the quote.
Tarte Tatin
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
I think it has the same meaning as 'history is written by the winners'. In other words, a person hunted the lion and people have historians, so they can tell the story to future generations. However the lion can't. It's been killed and can't speak for itself anyway. Another way of looking at it is that there are two sides to every story - the winner's perspective and the loser's perspective and the loser's often gets forgotten.
doitforyou
Rep:
(Original post by Tarte Tatin)
I think it has the same meaning as 'history is written by the winners'. In other words, a person hunted the lion and people have historians, so they can tell the story to future generations. However the lion can't. It's been killed and can't speak for itself anyway. Another way of looking at it is that there are two sides to every story - the winner's perspective and the loser's perspective and the loser's often gets forgotten.
Thanks for clearing that up. Do you think Carthage vs Rome and Plains Indians vs White Americans would be good examples to use?
Tarte Tatin
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by doitforyou)
Thanks for clearing that up. Do you think Carthage vs Rome and Plains Indians vs White Americans would be good examples to use?
Sorry, I don't know much about these specific topics:confused: But if for example, the opinion of the white Americans overshadows other opinions and their side of the story is frequently told, then yes, it would be a good example.
doitforyou
Rep:
(Original post by Tarte Tatin)
Sorry, I don't know much about these specific topics:confused: But if for example, the opinion of the white Americans overshadows other opinions and their side of the story is frequently told, then yes, it would be a good example.
What would you suggest to be a good example then?
Tarte Tatin
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by doitforyou)
What would you suggest to be a good example then?
I'm actually struggling to think of a modern day examples to be honest, but there are plenty of examples throughout history of political parties winning a victory by getting into power and then using propaganda so that everyone believes their version of history e.g. the Nazis .
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (78)
20.63%
Note taking apps (7)
1.85%
Flashcards (86)
22.75%
Revision guides (19)
5.03%
Past papers (173)
45.77%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (15)
3.97%

Watched Threads