Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Would like some advice on what to do, especially from anyone who has been in a similar situation. I just finished my repeat of my first year. Originally, I took Economics, which I failed due to mitigating circumstances, and was allowed to repeat my first year doing a different degree scheme. I selected marketing with a minor in accounting. I passed Marketing with an average just below a 2:1; however, I failed the accounting exam with extenuating circumstances (dislocated arm the morning of exam, but still went!) and was allowed to do a retake which was considered the first sitting.

I just received an email that I failed this, but I do not know by how much yet because the results aren't officially released until tomorrow. I would like to make an appeal but the university says these are the only grounds for appeal:

"You are provided with the opportunity to request a review / appeal of this decision based on one of the following:
    · A procedural irregularity in the assessment process
    · Bias
    · Extenuating or mitigating circumstances relating to your assessment where, for good reason, the academic body was not made aware of when making its original decision."

None of these apply to my situation, so I would like some advice on how best to argue my case so they will condone the accounting module and I can progress to second year. My coursework average in the accounting module is 42% which accounts for half of the module and I don't believe I could have failed the exam by that much so I think it will be close.

I am planning to say that Accounting was a poor choice of minor, but it is not related to my major and I do not plan on taking anything related in year 2 and 3 so it will have no effect on my overall degree achievement. My marketing results were quite good, as was my attendance throughout the year so I am hoping that they will let me progress because I think it is unlikely they will let me change degree and repeat first year again.

So do you think that they will let me progress and what advice could you give for the appeals process?

Thanks in advance for your replies

ReputationRep:
    If you can't progress onto the next year then you'll have to transfer to another university onto the second year. The problem is that you can't start a new degree from scratch (unless you have lots of money) as student finance won't finance the first year of your degree, but only the last 2 as you've already used up 2 of your 4 years of entitlement. A lower ranked uni may take you, it depends entirely on their policy.

You also need to think whether university is right for you currently, as you already failed the first year once and maybe for a second time, what is supposed to be the easier year of uni. Maybe it would be better for you to work for a few years and save up money, and then start a new degree if it feels right, perhaps in a different subject, however that would cost you money.

I'm not sure what grounds you have to appeal their decision since they already let you do it for a second time, it depends entirely on whether you get lucky.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Just here to +1 kaizzu.

ReputationRep:
    Don't appeal unless you had extenuating circumstances or you can find evidence to support that. They should give you a third resit

ReputationRep:
    I can't see any grounds for appeal in the info provided, sorry. There were no extenuating circumstances for the resit failure in your description. Choosing the wrong subject isn't grounds for appeal, neither is the fact that you won't take that subject again for the rest of the degree.

Other results and attendance being "quite good" don't sound like grounds for a discretionary pass to be given. It depends on your uni's procedures as to whether your result is referred back to the Exam Board, and then, how sympathetically borderline candidate referrals to the Exam Board are handled. Generally, at my undergrad uni a situation like yours would only be grounds for a discretionary pass if you're otherwise getting good marks and are still a credible candidate to pass the degree overall. You never know - you might get lucky. But as you suggest, if you've failed by some margin, you probably won't be.

If your coursework average was 42% and that was half of your module's result for the year, then I apologise for saying it, but you were a borderline candidate in that module at best. All you had to do was give a slightly worse performance in the exam (less than 38%) and you would easily have failed. You just had no wiggle room to have a bad day. You wouldn't have had to have failed by very much in order to fail the module overall.

ReputationRep:
    You said yourself that none of the reasons for an appeal exist, so it sounds as if that's that.

You failed the first year and were allowed to retake. You were scraping through second time round, and seem to have failed the exam. If you were struggling that much with the year, then, being honest with yourself, how would you cope with the second year? Or third year?

You can try appealing, but I don't think you'll get anywhere. You should start thinking about what you could do instead, whether it's work, travelling, trying to get a place at another uni (self-funded for the first year), apprenticeship or a different course (HNC, HND, foundation degree etc).

Oh, and here's a rugby player putting a dislocated shoulder back in place and carrying on with the game https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxnAhluqz-Y

Good luck whatever you end up doing.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies. Mark was 32 so the overall average is 37, so only a marginal fail. It means they can, in theory, condone the mark by university rules. Seeing as it's not my major I'm hoping they will let me continue. I spoke to the course coordinator today and they didn't say no, which is a good sign I suppose, so they said they will get back to me on Monday.

Seeing as they considered my retake as the first sitting, due to the extenuating circumstances in the original sitting, do you think I would have grounds to appeal on the basis that all students are allowed a second sitting so I should be allowed to retake this exam. I think this would fall under 'bias' in the student regulations because I can argue I am not being given the same chance as other students just because of what happened in the original sitting; so in effect I have only been permitted one sitting. Whether you think this is actually true or not, do you think this argument would fly with the university?

Thanks for the advice on what to do if this is unsuccessful, but I'll cross that bridge if I get to it. At the moment I just want to focus on what I can do to go through to next year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mike Johnston)
    Thanks for the replies. Mark was 32 so the overall average is 37, so only a marginal fail. It means they can, in theory, condone the mark by university rules. Seeing as it's not my major I'm hoping they will let me continue. I spoke to the course coordinator today and they didn't say no, which is a good sign I suppose, so they said they will get back to me on Monday.

Seeing as they considered my retake as the first sitting, due to the extenuating circumstances in the original sitting, do you think I would have grounds to appeal on the basis that all students are allowed a second sitting so I should be allowed to retake this exam. I think this would fall under 'bias' in the student regulations because I can argue I am not being given the same chance as other students just because of what happened in the original sitting; so in effect I have only been permitted one sitting. Whether you think this is actually true or not, do you think this argument would fly with the university?

Thanks for the advice on what to do if this is unsuccessful, but I'll cross that bridge if I get to it. At the moment I just want to focus on what I can do to go through to next year.
    I have to be brutally honest, at both my undergrad and Masters unis, you'd be clutching at straws. 32% is a pretty convincing fail and your coursework was only a scraped pass.

I can't see how you might be able to resit the failed exam. Your view that it was your first sitting because of the ECs for your first attempt, simply isn't the case. I've never known a third round of exams to happen. At this point, the uni (if it decides in your favour) is more likely to ask for an additional piece of coursework - termed "Compensation".

I think you have to wait for your uni's judgement. All of this discussion is just speculation.

ReputationRep:
    At my uni you used to be able to carry a failed first year course into second year, as long as it wasn't a prerequisite for any any other modules. They changed it though, as students should really be able to pass all of their required credits in one year and being unable to do so indicates that you would be unable to do so in future years. If you can't pass first year after two chances, then how on earth do you expect to pass the hard parts of your degree?

I assume that failing the first time would've been a kick up the butt and you worked hard this time. If so, it's maybe just that uni isn't for you, if you worked hard and still failed. If not, if you didn't learn from your first failure, then you don't deserve another resit anyway.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.