Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Should I apply to Oxford? I got A in computing and spanish, C in maths (messed up my C2 exam, planning on resitting) and D in physics at AS. Usual offer is A*AA and I think I can achieve A* in both computing and spanish. I'm also doing the EPQ, but I'm not very clear on how to do it, so I might not get a good grade. What do you say?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Cacsel)
    Should I apply to Oxford? I got A in computing and spanish, C in maths (messed up my C2 exam, planning on resitting) and D in physics at AS. Usual offer is A*AA and I think I can achieve A* in both computing and spanish. I'm also doing the EPQ, but I'm not very clear on how to do it, so I might not get a good grade. What do you say?
    I'm really sorry, but it's probably going to be a wasted application. I can't stress enough how important Maths is for Computer Science - you'd have to sit (almost) the same entrance exam as applicants for straight Maths - and there's just no way they're going to accept you with a C in AS Maths, and it doesn't help that you haven't got Further Maths either and got a D in your other "hard" science. Just to be clear, the problem isn't that you got AACD at AS, the problem is that the C is in Maths. If you do end up getting A*AA (with the A* in Maths or Computing, they won't be interested in what you get for Spanish) or better at A2 then you might want to send in an application then but in your current situation, it's just not going to happen unfortunately

I guess you could apply and optimistically do the MAT and see what happens... I still can't see them accepting you with those AS grades though, unless you do insanely well in the MAT and prove that what happened in AS Maths was a complete fluke. Honestly though, I'm not sure it's worth it.

ReputationRep:
    Start preparing for the MAT and see you can get over 70+

Posted from TSR Mobile

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.